The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2007, 03:07 AM   #1
combustion

bbc cam blues

anyways, before i get the "did you search" question, yes sir i did. but the search engine its not working properly or not at all. it never really does. anyways, my gen v 454 is just asking for a cam, but before i go ahead and purchase one, what are some good cams that i can look at. this is what I'm looking for in cam.

1. your typical "i wanna be streetable but powerful". cliche, but i want that.
2. decent idle, does not have to be perfect, but streetable..
3. and most of all, dependable.
too much to ask maybe, but i have to get my ignorance out of my way before i purchase something that's not gonna work out.

can you guys educate me on some cam numbers? like what can be used in the street and what cannot?
I'm assuming by the rule of thumb that you might as well replace lifters and springs, but is there anything else i have to replace fr this particular set up? i don't wanna bus something and fin out it will interfere with something else.
my current set up is as follows.
750 eddi carb and performer 2.0 manifold. stock everything else, the smogged out cam is keeping me under 200 hp. and i hate that.
i can spend up to 350 bucks btw.
thanks a lot for your help
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
dwaite72lnghrn

Re: bbc cam blues

This is the one I used in my old 402. Made a big change in felt power and economy. http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePar...tType=camshaft
It had a slight lope and from start to 3800rpm it was real strong. I did not need to machine anything to install it on the old heads. The write up on the cam has recommended springs and retainers for after 80 engines.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
cdowns

every major cam manufacturer has a tech line and i've found many to be quite usefull// having all your specs weight ratios tire sizes engine mods tranny type and you expectations of performance will help them give you the ideal cam for your application
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Myself

Me and a couple buddies have had bad luck with Comp Cams. Might be wise to stay away from them, unless you enjoy rebuilding your engine.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I have a Crane Energizer cam in my 1989 454 and really like it. It is the Crane Energizer Part No: 103042, Grind Number 266 H10. You definitely want to go with new lifters and springs. My springs needed shimming and after an initial screw up I pulled the heads and had a valve job done on them and let the engine guy get the springs properly shimmed. I am using Comp Cams Magnum roller Rockers and stepped up to better pushrods while I was at it.

This cam is designed with low end torque in mind. Member Billa was kind enough to do a desktop dyno for me a while back (you can see it in the Desktop Dyno sticky in the engine forum) and that program estimated my torque to peak at 433 and my horsepower peaked at 292 - this is with stock peanut port heads. The torque curve stayed above 400 from idle to just about 4000 rpm.

I picked the cam with the recommendation of board member Mike C and a call to Crane to see what they recommended. I have a great idle, you can tell the engine is not stock by the sound and I have all the power I need. Crane's tech seemed to know what they were talking about and assisted me nicely given that I'm pretty uneducated engine wise.

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 09-28-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
Robznob11

all i can say is isky or crower take your pic call em and let them tell you your best option, it all depends on wt of truck, tire size, tranny, stall, induction, exh etc...
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
ofnaman

I was asking the same question about a month ago. I have a friend that is sponsered by comp cams. He told me to give them a call, let them know what I have and what I am looking to do with the engine and they will either reccomend a pre made cam or for a little extra they will grind one especially for the application. My buddy told me to pay the extra and have one ground specifically for the application. It is not as much to have one special made as you would think. My last small block cam cost me about $350 to have made (by comp cams). I know people on this site either hate or love comp cams, but the simple truth is any cam can and will fail if not installed and broke in properly. I personally like comp, and lunati, but that is just my opinion.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Myself

I know people on this site either hate or love comp cams, but the simple truth is any cam can and will fail if not installed and broke in properly.

I agree, but 6500 miles, and 7 wiped lobes within the last 50 is not a break-in problem. And Comp would not stand behind it. The warranty guy at Northern Auto Parts did though. And I got a new cam and lifters by Crane.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Robznob11

comp cams is overated they relly suck, most people get them cause there cheaper, why cause there masproduced, not that the others are not just not in as much volume, isky, crower, lunati all better cams, they produce more power, have more tought put into the design and have better tolarances when machiened, every one ask why our sand box built engines here in west texas run so well and sound like an alchole engine its do to the proper combo and right cam and (cam brand) i took a comp generic 292 cam out of a motor and put a 284 isky mega cam in on a buddys engine the sound and response was evident right away not to mention his s10 picked up a half second and even though the isky was smaller it sounded way more radical than that comp...
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS

Last edited by Robznob11; 10-01-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
DieselEater

Don't waste your time with off the shelf stuff, since custom grinds are just a few bucks more!!!!! Go to this site and search around.

THIS IS WHERE THE BBC GURU'S SPEND THEIR TIME!!!!!!!!

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

a......
D60/14bolt
205/465
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=127691959
DieselEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
franks72

I love the comp cams hyd roller I put in my 402.Talk about dependable.. I'll never break another cam in ..It's more $ but well worth it. No break in problems . I used there cb-270H-R10 270 DUR 566 LIFT 215@.050 I have always used crower in my race motors but wanted to try a hyd roller in this street motor and I'm very happy with it ...And I'm not easy on this motor its been over a year and still running strong..http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t=MVI_0948.flv

Last edited by franks72; 10-01-2007 at 08:23 PM.
franks72 is offline   Reply With Quote