The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #26
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: ECE drop springs ride quality

VDOG,... Make sure you have plenty of suspension travel. Remove or shorten the bumpstops both front and rear. 3" and 4" coils shouldn't be that close. I use ECE stuff,... and it rides great. Post up some pics of your lower a-arms and rear suspension. It should ride much better than stock.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 09-30-2007 at 10:29 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #27
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Ok im going to have to disagree on this post. My trucks does not ride even close to my old Lexus LS after being lowered. In fact im a bit disapointed.
Purchased the CPP lowering kit, 3" frt and 4" rear coils with Dostech shocks all around front swaybar installed not the rear yet. New Ball joints, tie rods, with stock spindles. My truck rode better and smoother with the 38 year suspension still on the truck. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Well their is your problem! I have used both CPP and ECE on alot of different builds over the years. On Low Buck I went with ECE's parts and could not be happier. Also if you want everything to ride just right spend a few bucks extra and go with ECE's shorter shocks. Terry from ECE has spent 15-20 years dealing with shock manufacturers and they have the best I have seen for static dropped trucks.
Now my truck has 2.5" ECE drop spindles and 2" ECE springs in front and a home made flip kit out back (leaf spring) that gives it about a 4.5"/7" drop and it is one of the best riding and handling trucks I have driven in years. With air bags out back for leveling out my trailer it is alos a great tow rig!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-30-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #28
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Well their is your problem! I have used both CPP and ECE on alot of different builds over the years. On Low Buck I went with ECE's parts and could not be happier. Also if you want everything to ride just right spend a few bucks extra and go with ECE's shorter shocks. Terry from ECE has spent 15020 years dealing with shock manufacturers and they have the best I have seen for static dropped trucks.
Now my truck has 2.5" ECE drop spindles and 2" ECE springs in front and a home made flip kit out back (leaf spring) that gives it about a 4.5"/7" drop and it is one of the best riding and handling trucks I have driven in years. With air bags out back for leveling out my trailer it is alos a great tow rig!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Wow! I'm amazed at how well he is still able to work after 15020 years! I also feel he's going to have to trim or remove those front bumpstops with that 3" drop spring.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #29
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
Wow! I'm amazed at how well he is still able to work after 15020 years! I also feel he's going to have to trim or remove those front bumpstops with that 3" drop spring.
Nice catch Large fingers I guess
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #30
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Ok im going to have to disagree on this post. My trucks does not ride even close to my old Lexus LS after being lowered. In fact im a bit disapointed.
Purchased the CPP lowering kit, 3" frt and 4" rear coils with Dostech shocks all around front swaybar installed not the rear yet. New Ball joints, tie rods, with stock spindles. My truck rode better and smoother with the 38 year suspension still on the truck. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Hello, hello .... Did I hear a comparison with an Lexus LS?? Well my truck has a pretty good ride for being lowered to the extent that it is. I never even gave it a thought to compare it to my Mercedes Benz C280 which is classed as a luxery sports sedan. Come to think of it why would I? My 70' GMC has cool factor the Benz will never have and the Benz has well why even start it's not a hot rod. When I drive my 70' I want loud, bug the neighbours, no creature comforts just Bad A$$ Attitude all day long. Now with that thought in mind go out and enjoy your truck.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 09-30-2007 at 04:38 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #31
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post

Hello, hello .... Did I hear a comparison with an Lexus LS?? Well my truck has a pretty good ride for being lowered to the extent that it is. I never even gave it a thought to compare it to my Mercedes Benz C280 which is classed as a luxery sports sedan. Come to think of it why would I? My 70' GMC has cool factor the Benz will never have and the Benz has well why even start it's not a hot rod. When I drive my 70' I want loud, bug the neighbours, no creature comforts just Bad A$$ Attitude all day long. Now with that thought in mind go out and enjoy your truck.

esll.
He said that in response to ChevLoRay saying The ride quality is absolutely great! My '96 rides much more harshly. "The '69 rides better than my '00 Tundra, too. In fact, the wife's Lexus ES doesn't ride much better....a lot quieter, but not much better ride quality"
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #32
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
He said that in response to ChevLoRay saying The ride quality is absolutely great! My '96 rides much more harshly. "The '69 rides better than my '00 Tundra, too. In fact, the wife's Lexus ES doesn't ride much better....a lot quieter, but not much better ride quality"

Opps! They both owned Lexus cars I got confused. Any way please forgive me for that. My point was cool costs some sacrifice but all things considered my truck rides great and I compare it to other lowered trucks not luxery cars. Sorry to hear that the Lexus is not all that great. Time to see a Benz dealer as I'm happier then ever with our car.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #33
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post
Opps! They both owned Lexus cars I got confused. Any way please forgive me for that. Sorry to hear that the Lexus is not all that great. Time to see a Benz dealer as I'm happier then ever with our car.
Not sure about the Lexus ES but my LS rides great. The bumpstops on the rear were removed when I lowered my truck back in April. The front are still on. My truck is not bottoming out its just the ride is not as smooth as I though. It has that lowered Honda Civic bounce to me. I have heavy duty coils in the back and was told even with those the ride was great and they can handle a load. Cant complete the truck until I finish the kitchen for the wife.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #34
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
VDOG,... Make sure you have plenty of suspension travel. Remove or shorten the bumpstops both front and rear. 3" and 4" coils shouldn't be that close. I use ECE stuff,... and it rides great. Post up some pics of your lower a-arms and rear suspension. It should ride much better than stock.
Pictures posted.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #35
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

VDOG,... I can't really see where your bumpstops were removed. I would remove the rear rubber and metal bracket entirely. If you want a bumpstop in there use one of the small bolt on kind from Energy Suspension. On the front,... I always trim away the ENTIRE bumpstop bracket with the exception on the steering stop that touches the spindle. I also trim the lower a-arm to clear 15 inch rims. It looks like you have quality stuff on there. I would verify that you have short shocks. If they are for a stock height suspension, that could be part of the rough ride you are experiencing.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 10-01-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #36
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
VDOG,... I can't really see where your bumpstops were removed. I would remove the rear rubber and metal bracket entirely. I also trim the lower a-arm to clear 15 inch rims. It looks like you have quality stuff on there. I would verify that you have short shocks. If they are for a stock height suspension, that could be part of the rough ride you are experiencing.
Rear bumpstops removed months ago. How would this affect my ride quailty when im not bottoming out?
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #37
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Sorry VDOG,... I missed post # 33. I am at a loss. I've always lowered these year trucks at least a 4/6 or 5/6 drop. I've always been happy with the ride. You have the rear shock relocators,... and everything else looks fine. You have me stumped. Anyone else? New (different) coils is all thats left.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 10-02-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #38
bcanini
"Taste It"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
Although that is a beautiful truck, it is just a little lower than I'm wanting to go. Even though I have a newer truck, this truck has become my daily driver when I'm not working. Most of the of trucks I see on here with the 4/6 drops are just a tad lower than I like. They look great, but they are just a little lower I want. I hear of people having some scrubbing problems here and there with 4/6 and I know it has to be VERY close to the bumpstops that low, and I am not at all interested in C-notching my frame. I guess what I mean is that I don't want to have to worry about where I pull into a rough parking lot, etc. I want to drive the truck like I do now. The truck below has the 2/4 drop on it, and it has pretty much the exact look I want, except I want 10's on the rear and mine will have a '69 grill. I do appreciate all the suggestions though, and I do plan on getting sway bar kit. Thanks everyone for the input!
That truck looks an awful lot like mine I REALLY LIKE IT!!!!!!

Brian
Attached Images

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
bcanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #39
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

A lowered black 67-72 Chevy with the body side molding and Torq Thrusts is one of the best possible combos of any truck, and year IMO.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote