The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
chvtrkman

Question Ignition timing

Sorry if this topic has been discussed to death. I did a search but turned up nothing specific to my problem. Here goes:

My 292 has no power above 1500 rpm. I went to check timing yesterday, I put the timing light on it....can't find a mark lining up anywhere on the timing tab on engine block.My question is, would my truck even run if the distributor were to have gotten off a tooth? I didn't pull the dizzy, but a friend who worked on it for me in my absence may have.Any clues?

BTW: the truck is a tiny bit hard to start when cold, but once it idles a minute or two it starts easily, idles ok, and revs ok. just when I drive it, it cuts out after 1500 rpm, and has little to no power to climb a grade. I haven't checked for a vacuum leak yet as I want to make sure timing is correct first.Any help is appreciated.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
chvtrkman

Re: Ignition timing

Ok,so I reset the timing to 8 degrees BTDC. Checked for a vacuum leak....everything's good there. Tried making carb adjustments 5 times.
The best I could get before it starts to cut out is 2000 rpm. Once again, I'm baffled.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
Old 10-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

Clogged fuel filter? Severely clogged air-filter? failing fuel pump? Points or electronic distrib? If points, dwell off?,points all burnt or oily? Carb clogged with gunk? Timing weights stuck and not advancing the timing as RPMs increase?
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 10-07-2007 at 07:39 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
chvtrkman

WorkinLonghorn,
Thanks for the reply. Sometimes I neglect to give info that I don't think is pertinent to the problem. For example, the carb is new(installed in May of this year), as was brand new air cleaner, fuel filter, etc. New points,plugs,condenser as well.Pretty much all that stuff is new as the truck sat for 5 yrs. out in the woods.

I went out to tinker after dinner, I reset the timing back to original setting, only this time didn't use timing light, just did it by listening as I turned the distributor. That, in combonation with the leaner carb adjustment made a big difference, but it's still not 100%.At least I can drive up a mild grade now. I still haven't checked the fuel filter ( even though it's new) for debris clogging it up. I think I've narrowed it down to either that, or a bad vacuum advance. Tomorrow I will see if our local auto parts store will have one. If not I can order one from a supplier on the "net".Thanks again.
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
68 Stepside
huh?

My 66 3/4 ton had a leaky vacuum advance, it was a total dog until I fixed that. Fortunately it had 4.57 gears , so I really didn't have a lot of problems with grades anyway...
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

The vac advance only affects part throttle operation (if installed correctly).So if you floor it going up a hill and the engine misses or runs real weak,it's not the vac advance (but it could be the centrifical adv.).Apply a partial vacuum with your mouth to the vac-line and you should see the points rotate counter-clock-wise.
If you have an old gas tank,it could very easily clog the filter in no time at all.I had to mount a huge filter on mine about the size of a lawnmower muffler to get some serious use from my old '69 between fuel filter changes!
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 10-07-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
DavesRide

Here is a good trick to find if fuel is an issue. Take one of those small propane touch bottles and take off the tip. Put a piece of hose on it long enough to reach carb from drivers seat. drive vehicle and when it malfunctions turn on propane and if it runs better it has a fuel delivery issue. I did this to an old quadrajet and figured out my metering rods were not raising up to deliver fuel once the secondary flaps opened. Just a thought. Dave
DavesRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesRide View Post
Here is a good trick to find if fuel is an issue. Take one of those small propane touch bottles and take off the tip. Put a piece of hose on it long enough to reach carb from drivers seat. drive vehicle and when it malfunctions turn on propane and if it runs better it has a fuel delivery issue. I did this to an old quadrajet and figured out my metering rods were not raising up to deliver fuel once the secondary flaps opened. Just a thought. Dave
Good tip, just be careful. The tube runs where on the carb? The top?
The nice thing about that idea is if it's not a fuel issue, you can end your problems with the torch in you hand.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
DavesRide

Yes, very true. Be safe. I ran mine into the top opening of carb and held it in place so it did not go anywhere else. If the truck in question is missing under load then do look into ignition system. If it feels like it just holding back still on 8 cylinders then check into fuel. Yes, do not set it on fire.
DavesRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
Alex Hayley

Did you check for a stuck mechanical advance? I just worked through that issue a couple of weeks ago.
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Did you check for a stuck mechanical advance?
I already mentioned that twice.
Here;
Quote:
Timing weights stuck and not advancing the timing as RPMs increase?
and here;
Quote:
but it could be the centrifical adv