The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
mrein3

Re: Need your EXPERT advice!

I respectfully disagree with WorkinLonghorn and Elsie72. I have a 5 year old and another one on the way. Neither of them will ever be allowed to drive a vehicle with front drums as long as I am in control of such decisions (at least until they are 18).

When I bought my 72 Chevelle in 1984 it had drums all the way around. In the late 80s while it was still my daily driver I worked in a repair shop and did brakes on numerous cars. I had top notch parts in all four corners of that vehicle. Even then it was only adequate.

You get one emergency stop with a front drum car/truck per day. After that the componenets are heated up and fade big time. If your son is out screwing around like all 16 year olds, heats them up, then really needs them, he'll have issues stopping all that iron.

Back when I worked at the shop I'd diagnose things like cracked front brake hoses. When I'd talk to the gentleman about what he needs for a brake job I'd get the old "its only the wife's car". To which I'd simply reply, "don't you love your wife?"

How many mini-vans pull out in front of you with mom on the cell phone? How many times does it happen with a load of deck lumber from Home Depot?

I guess what I'm saying is if you like this kid, put some discs on the front, R&R the back, and call it money well spent.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote