The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
roughedup72

what would you do? Need Advice and tips

As alot of you know, old blue popped a head gasket a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have pulled the heads and noticed that it looks like the number 7 and 8 cylinder wasnt firing or at least not that good anyway. I now have a company vehicle which is a good thing and can start working on the old trucks appearence and heart transplant. I took the heads to the machine shop and got the bad news that they were no good thanks to the previous rebuilder who really screwed the heads up with a sorry valve job. I decided to go ahead and buy a set of heads and thanks to my cousin for having a set of brand new never used heads that he sold to me for $100.00 I can start the transformation. So heres what I'm thinking. I already have the heads off, I want to start on the body work and I want to go ahead and dive into the engine to see what else if anything is wrong. It has been bored .30 over and I would like for it to have more grunt. what would be a good approach to getting more power out of it since I am going into it anyway. And yep, I'm on a budget. I was thing about making it a 383 stroker but I'm not sure of everything I will need. Can you guys give some suggestions as to what I need or any other sugestions. OH YEAH 500 caddy eng. is out of the ? The one I was thinking about getting is toast I beleive. Thanks for the advice and sorry for such a long drawn out post.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
roughedup72

Re: what would you do? Need Advice and tips

Come on I know you guys have some advice.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
BHRS

Goto Summit Racing and look up stroker kits, they will include all the parts needed to convert the 350 to a 383.

If the heads are shot, how is the rest of the motor? Have you pulled the motor and checked the cylinders?

I had a what I thought was a nice 350 once that some dipstick forgot to put anti-freeze in and the block was cracked. Make sure the block is good before ordering parts...

1972 Cheyenne C10
Unrestored Original-3 Owner-RUST FREE Texas Truck
Big Block-TH400-PS-PB-AC-AM/FM Radio
BHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
streetstar

if the block is good ---- a mild cam upgrade (RV type cam) would help with a little more low end -- make sure your intake and carb is optimized and install some skinny long tube headers---- oh, and put those heads on with the thinnest head gasket you can get, which will boost compression a little bit. You didnt mention what type of new heads you have, but those tips will work for anything. If the heads are performance oriented, then a more aggressive cam might work - but would kill low end in an otherwise stock 350

a 150 horse nitrous plate kit will wake it up if you ever want to surprise somebody downtown too --- or if you need to outrun Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane

Last edited by streetstar; 10-10-2007 at 05:07 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
70rs/ss

Actually if you want to go full budget, but good quality parts check out powerhouse performance out of CA they sell a stroker kit for $4-500, balancing, etc add to that price, but can still be had for well under a $G and then you need to have the block bored (or honed if it isn't worn out?) Good luck. For the cost of a stock 350 rebuild you cannot beat the minimal extra expense of the 383 in power and performance!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
roughedup72

Thanks guys. The heads are 62cc and they are High Swirl? I think that what my cousin said they were. The block looked ok. I could still see the cross ecthing in the cylinder walls on all except one cylinder. This the reason for going ahead and pulling the engine. Plus it helps me get to a point where I can start my paint and body work.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
bent
The master of disaster

I dont know what exactly to say but I had an old 82 chevy lwb (that i found out was stolen with frodulat title) that i had to give back to the car lot any how it had a stock 350 block with a mild to moderate cam it also had a weind single plane highrise intake manifold with hooker long tube headers that was backed by duel traight back flowmaster exhaust i spent 220.00 for an edelbrock 650cfm proformer carb i paid a lil extra for the polished version and that gave me right around 315 horses from what i was told. it has a stock trans with a posi trac rear end nightmare on any ice storm with no rear breaks. Long story shorst it would pull good and would get up and stomp any rice car that had mild tuning done to it. unfortunantly it would not eat a 2000 ws6 6 speed trust me i tried 5 times. Any how here is a pic i shur miss the power.

Last edited by bent; 10-10-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
unfortunantly it would not eat a 2000 ws6 6 speed trust me i tried 5 times. Any how here is a pic i shur miss the power.

]
I wouldnt worry about that too much -- neither will a stock Dodge SRT-10

thats a 13 second and potential high 12 second car

Most people are shocked when they take their "fast bad ass" truck to the track and it turns a 16---- if yours was doing 14's or low 15's -- then ya done good
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #9
roughedup72

yeah I know, Notice my sig. that was my pride and joy and would love to own another one.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
caminokid
Chevy nut

I always wanted to get my hands on a Firehawk. Those are just as bad. But my idea was to drop a LS2 in it with the 6 speed. Then we're talkin 400 HP from the factory...and lots of potential.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote