The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

Talking What to do?!?

So i ran into a little bit of money (about $800) from my loan disbursement here in Tyler TX, and now i am not sure what i want to do? Any ideas? I know it needs to involve Ginger (my truck), and you may have seen my other thread about changing up my exhaust.

If i could get ahold of a good tech here, i would have a ticking lifter replaced, but if i get him inside the engine, i would change a few more things, if ya know what i mean... just asking some advice/opinions
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Duro5341

Re: What to do?!?

personally for me....it's only $800. When it comes to engine upgrades, it always get more expensive the deeper you go. And costs more gas when your done

I would give the truck a wash,wax, interior clean, LOF, full tank of gas. And put the rest in the bank for a rainy day when something breaks, or is in dier need of repair

Duro
-1979 Monte Carlo, 350, 200r4, 3.73 posi
-1987 GT T-top Mustang - slow moving project
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

You sure it's not the rockers that just need some adjustment? Don't know if you've already tried that, but I figured I would ask.

As for exhaust, what do you wanna do ? Something simple like turbo mufflers dumped before the rear axle with an H pipe is cheap and effective and won't eat up your budget. If you want flowmasters and the exhaust exiting at the rear bumper (my favorite), then that will probably take the better part of that $800.

I'm guessing you're a college student?
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
You sure it's not the rockers that just need some adjustment? Don't know if you've already tried that, but I figured I would ask.

As for exhaust, what do you wanna do ? Something simple like turbo mufflers dumped before the rear axle with an H pipe is cheap and effective and won't eat up your budget. If you want flowmasters and the exhaust exiting at the rear bumper (my favorite), then that will probably take the better part of that $800.

I'm guessing you're a college student?

I took the valve covers off and the ticking is definitely internal. you can hear it through the firewall when maintaining a constant speed. I tried tightening all the rockers, but to my dismay, they were all fine. i backed one off just to compare the ticking and its completely different. pretty sure its a lifter.

Definitely a college kid too. Was thinking about dumping a couple Flowmaster Super 44s and replaceing my thin-walled, small-primary, shorty headers with a couple ceramic coated long tubes
Old 10-18-2007, 01:47 AM   #5
Pyrotechnic

Yeah I'm in college and my exhaust consists of long tubes with purple hornies glasspacks bolted directly to the headers.

All I can say is, don't go with flowtech or dynomax headers. The design constantly burns up my #3 spark plug boot and the quality of the mating surface between the tubes and head is horrible. Getting them to seal has been very tough and they still aren't 100% sealed. Also, they didn't account for the tilt that engines usually have, so the collectors point towards the ground slightly which is annoying.

I have a set of Hedmans waiting to go on. The quality seems better and the drivers side is a different design that I hope will give good plug access. Once I get time to install them I'll find out I guess.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id do the exhaust and save the rest..a bad lifter is easy enough to do on your own if you want to do that until you have the money to do the truck motor riught id get the stock lifters and throw a new set back in its only the cost of a valve cover and intake gasket set and the lifters which should go for under $100 n total

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Yeah I'm in college and my exhaust consists of long tubes with purple hornies glasspacks bolted directly to the headers.

All I can say is, don't go with flowtech or dynomax headers. The design constantly burns up my #3 spark plug boot and the quality of the mating surface between the tubes and head is horrible. Getting them to seal has been very tough and they still aren't 100% sealed. Also, they didn't account for the tilt that engines usually have, so the collectors point towards the ground slightly which is annoying.

I have a set of Hedmans waiting to go on. The quality seems better and the drivers side is a different design that I hope will give good plug access. Once I get time to install them I'll find out I guess.
Well crap... i had already placed a bid on some flowtech headers... but now i just checked my bid position and i have been outbid! good thing- it ends in 52 minutes!! so Hedman's the way to go? any other brands?