The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Exclamation New rear end tomorrow, what to look for?

So tomorrow I'm trading my 12 bolt 2.73 rear end for a 12 bolt 3.73 rear end. The truck it's coming off of was a parts truck, and they only need a rear end underneath it to move it, and they don't care what ratio it is.

I'm going to pop the cover tomorrow to check for any metal shavings in the oil, and to count the gears to make sure it is actually a 3.73. Is there anything else I should look for when the cover is off?

Also, any tips on swapping rear ends? It looks simple enough, but I like to get an idea from everyone on here any time I start something I've never done before. 2 shocks, 2 brake lines, 4 bolts for the driveshaft, and 8 nuts for the u-bolts right? Then I'll have to bleed the brakes once the near rear end is on correct?

I think that sums it up, thanks for any info!
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
firedrag79

Re: New rear end tomorrow, what to look for?

I don't know how common it is but I swapped axles from a 10 Bolt to a 14 Bolt and found that the spring perches were not the same width. The 10 Bolt from a 1/2 ton and the 14 from a 3/4 ton. Just something to check before the swap. I didn't know that they were different until I was in too deep and then had to deal with more modifications/work than planned... but it is all working out in the end.
firedrag79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Re: New rear end tomorrow, what to look for?

Well this is a 12 bolt to a 12 bolt, same rearend, just from a truck 2 years older. mine's an 80 and the truck the new rear is from is a 78. Only difference is that the 78 is a heavy half and mine isn't. shouldn't matter though, looks like everything should be a direct swap.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote