The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

Inside spare tire carrier pics needed

I am looking for pictures of stock behind the seat spare tire carrier hardware. I need to see factory correct hardware that holds the tire to the carrier. Let me se what you have.

Jason
jay_shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

Re: Inside spare tire carrier pics needed

I found this pic. Is the hardware, to mount the wheel on the carrier, in the pic factory correct?

Jason
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
71BlazzinOrange

I will be watching this post probably as much as you, I'm waiting for one I that I purchased from a member. Ho you have any of the hardware? Do you know if there is mounting holes?
71BlazzinOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

I have the bolts that hold the carrier to the floor. And yes there should be attaching points holes already in the floor.

I am looking for the hardware that attaches the wheel to the carrier. I will post a picture of what I believe is the correct hardware as soon as I find it.

Jason
Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

Here is a picture of what I believe is the correct hardware. I am looking for someone to verify this for me.

Jason
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Jimmy72custom

The only problem I have with my, in bed spare mount, is that the K-line soft top hoop hits it in the down position. So I have unbolt and lay my spare flat when I drop the top.
Also it is not made for oversized tires.
Jimmy72custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
71BlazzinOrange

Jason, could you do me a favor and measure the distance from the wheel well to the center of back corner bolt? Also from the rear edge of the bed frame to the back bolts? I got mine today, rolled back the carpet and no evidence of holes for mounting. Maybe PO removed or maybe it never had them. Do you have say 33" tires on your rig? I wondering if I should wait till I get new tires--33's then mount it? I'm sure other folks would want the measurements also.
Jacob
Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
Green Monster

I tried mounting my 33" tire on my spare tire carrier last year to see if it would fit. It can be done with modification, but I did not bother to modify. There were two issues: The spare carrier is too short and the a longer carriage bolt is needed.

The correct size spare tire tire presses against the top of the spare tire carrier just above the wheel lip. When using a larger diameter tire the spare tire carrier is too short and needs to be extended about 2-3 inches for a proper fit. If you were to attempt this the tire and wheel will slip over the top of the carrier, then the tire presses against the back seat instead of pressing against the carrier. You could cut the carrier and have some metal pieced then weld back together. The carrier will need to be extended one way or another.

If you are using a wider wheel and tire combo then you will need a longer carriage bolt too. That's easy.

The 33" tire does not interfere with my CST panel on the driver side. I had about an inch of clearance.

The 33" tire did look ridiculously huge sitting up out of the back of my Blazer. It does block a considerable amount of your view out of the back through the rear view mirror. I did not care for the look. I thought I would like it.

This is how the stock tire matches up with the carrier. You can see there you only have to move about an inch up and the tire and wheel clears the carrier.
Attached Images

Last edited by Green Monster; 10-20-2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added photo
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
Green Monster

To answer Jay_shy's question: Looks everything is there except a two washers and a wingnut. They might be there, I can't see them.

I took some photos of my spare tire carrier, jack and all mounting hardware. Here is what I have. The carriage bolt is a fine piece of craftsmanship. It must have come from the factory like that.
Attached Images

Last edited by Green Monster; 10-20-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

71blazzinorange - I do not have a blazer however the ones I have seen in scrap yards had the holes for the spare carrier. Wish I could be some more help to you. I have seen a picture of a blazer cargo area with the holes properly marked floating around on the board. Maybe someone has a link.

Jason
Old 10-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

Thanks Green Monster. I think mine may not be original then.

Jason
Old 10-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
Green Monster

Here's that crazy looking carriage bolt. The one wing nut is welded on one side of the bolt.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
71BlazzinOrange

Talking Re: Inside spare tire carrier pics needed

Thanks! Green Monster, You were defiantly reading my mind by including the photo of the jack & spring that holds it. I forgot to ask yesterday and did not want to hijack Jason's post. Now I'm' on the hunt for that jack, spring clip hold down and that center disk. well maybe i will rotate my tire 90 deg up against the side? Has anyone done that? wonder if it will fit? I will extend my bracket thats required. I was thinking about taking the jack out of a 1995
E250 ford van, (free stuff) and welding the securing points to the back of the tire carrier?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
Green Monster

I could not get the tailgate closed with the tire on the side as pictured above. If you elevate it enough you might be able to make it fit. I am pretty sure I have seen other members mount the spare tire in that location, but maybe I'm thinking a Bronco.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:04 AM   #15
old man jimmy

Do you guys ever load the back down. Like for a week-end camping trip or anything. With the seat & tire in the back, leaves very little room for gear. When mine was new, had a flat between Yuma & Tucson in July. Had to unload everything along the freeway to get at the spare. Next week put a tire rack on it. Chunked the carrier in the dumpster. Rear seat went in storage a month later, and still their.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote