The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
chevychic

Choke Question

After about a day of researching what type of choke I have, since I had no wires connected to it and I knew it wasn't manual, I finally found out that I have a hot air choke....and...It's not working. It is open 24/7 and the butterfly will not shut during cold temperatures. Should I start off trying to adjust the tension of the coil?

I'm getting ready to rebuild my carb shortly, hopefully over the weekend. Is a hot air choke junk? Should I keep it or go to electric when I do my rebuild?

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

the hot air choke works all right, but is not always accurate. If you can, try to convert it to an electric choke or switch the whole carb when you do the rebuild.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 09:22 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I agree. Hot air chokes are old school. An electric choke is much better.

You will need to provide 12 volts from the fuse panel to a oil pressure switch, then from the switch to the choke. My switch is mounted in a brass tee beside the distributor, drivers side. There will be two if you have the tee. The big one is the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge, and the small one is the switch.

A junkyard will be a cheap place to find all the pieces you would need.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
PHOENIX

What would happen if you don't have your 12 volt power running through the oil pressure switch? I have mechanical oil pressure and I dont have a wire going to it. I'm not sure where this wire comes from, but it has 12 volts and was right there next to the carb so I hooked it up. No problems so far just curious of what could happen or other possible setups.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #5
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

did it have a grey plug on the end of it?

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:06 PM   #6
PHOENIX

There was no plug on the end of it. The previous owner put a manual choke on it. I had to go buy a new plug and its black.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:07 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

you are confusing oil pressure switch with oil pressure sending unit. All the switch does is let the current go through. So, as long as the engine has oil pressure, it will continue to let the current go through to the choke, and thus open it when it heats up.

Now, the reason for this is you don't want the choke working unless the engine has oil pressure. Why? Because this way, the choke will only work as long as the engine is running. If not for this, you could turn the key on and supply power to the choke, even with the engine off.

I also have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but I still have the switch too.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:45 PM   #8
85Silverado

True, if you just wire the choke to a 12v lead it will be on all the time. But you don't have to run it to the oil switch. Simply wire it into the fuse box to a source that turns on when the key is turn...like the wipers or radio...I spliced into the (i think it was grey) wire on the wipers for the signal to turn the choke on when i turned the key.

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:05 PM   #9
PHOENIX

Ohh damn (<----------- dumb@ss!) My bad I guess I should read a little closer. Do you think that weird switch I described before could be for my electric choke (the one by the oil filter in the block)?
Old 01-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #10
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by PHOENIX
What would happen if you don't have your 12 volt power running through the oil pressure switch?
nothing, it will work just fine. mine did for 2 years, it was a 4.1 truck, and someone swapped in the 350 before i got it, then i converted from 2bbl/manual choke to 4bbl w/electric choke out of a late 80s Chevy wagon. i had to modify the connector just a little bit, but it worked great. after taking the motor out for another go-through, i found a choke wire zip tied to the frame rail
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote