The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
rgreathouse

what it takes to lay body

hey guys i was wondering what it takes to get the pinch molding to lay out. i kno theres the porterbuilt drop member but im not going to fork out that money.is it possible to do without cutting up the floor?is a combination of a z and crossmember notch necissary?ive done a z before so this doesnt concern me but im not sure if this is enough.any help would be appreciated. oh and id like to set it up on 20s.
rgreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Kontrol Phreaks

Re: what it takes to lay body

Z the frame rails and front crossmember will get the frame down but you'll still need to either section the floor to get the sheetmetal down over the frame, or section the bottom of the frame rail. Either way you'll need to do something to the cab/frame because the Z and crossmeber alone will simply allow the frame to rest on the ground.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
rgreathouse

ok so how much of a z is needed to lay out on a 20" wheel?and whats the advantage of a crossmember notch/z combo?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

I've got a 3" Z and 1.25" cross member section and can lay on 20s with drop spindles. Using the cross member section and less Z allows for less floor modification to clear the trans. With my frame on the ground there is only about 1/2" between the pinch weld and the ground wit stock body mounts. there is enough room for me to just drop the body mounts on the frame 1/2" but I don't need it that low.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
rgreathouse

are there any good write ups on a crossmember section?i have an extra crossmember out on the ranch soo i wouldnt mind cutting that up.also with a 1.5" x member section and a 3" z is there any floor cutting involved?or steering issues?

thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

You're going to have to modify the floor to clear the trans. A 1.5" cross member section will result in ALOT of steering clearance issues. The column to gearbox shaft will have to be modified as well as clearancing for the steering linkage. That extra .25" makes alot of extra work.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting

Last edited by BACKYARD88; 10-17-2007 at 09:35 AM.
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
azfab

ok this is my 68. this is what you do.for the front you cane cnotch the front of the frame or the crossmember 1.5'' this will get the truck level when layed out. the only draw back is you will need to get some steering ujoints to clear the upper control arm. you do a 1.5 body drop this will get the rockers touching the ground. the rear well thats up to you, i biult an back half it was easy and quick. i lay hard with 2553520 an 2705 tall tire up front with noooo dropspindel! and if you want to run 22s just add a drop spindel.
azfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
PrerunnerRob

Here is some pics of my '63, I saw Porterbuilt setup, and just can't afford to spend that much so I built my own. It's still a work in progress, bu I think I have got everything finally figured out. Also minimum camaber change throughout the useable part of the suspension stroke.

Last edited by PrerunnerRob; 10-25-2007 at 01:42 AM.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote