The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
powerbench

rear end swap

ok after reading a bunch of posts.it turns out that my new 70 gmc leaf spring truck will not except my old axles out of my coil spring rear....my question is does anybody sell the brackets to put trailing arms on to the crossmember,or should i just find another crossmember....also do the shocks locate in the same place....and is there a hole for the track arm...been awhile just getting back into my truck stuff
powerbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Re: rear end swap

I am in the process of doing that swap - leafs to trailing arms. I have a 69' GMC that came stock with leafs now I want the trailing arm option. I experienced the same thing. There are a few brackets that you can't buy retail (or I couldn't find them) BUT THERE WAS HOPE I posted a WTB trailing arm brackets for the cross member on this board and these guys came through.

I ended up with a nice set from a guy in Washington State for $20.00 incl. shipped.

There is also another bracket you will need, thats the frame bracket that'll hold the rear traction bar or panhard bar. That too came from a WTB request.

These brackets are riveted to the frame. I am just using Stainless - 3/8 x 1 Inch bolts with lock washers and nuts. It'll hold forever.

If you have a trailing arm axle, thats great. I don't, so I have to get axle saddle brackets and will have to fabricate a bracket to hold the panhard bar to the axle. The Trailing Arm Axle has all that.

Do also you need shock brackets? I have a set.

Good Luck

Harry
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors

Last edited by myoldchevytruck; 10-22-2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: add info
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
powerbench

thanks for the info,i will look around the wrecker this week end and see if i can't dig up some brackets locally...i.d buy a new drop crossmember...but i'am trying to do this on a budget
Old 10-23-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
Morgsie

powerbench is your truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?
Morgsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 AM   #5
Gray Ghost

My friend is going through this right now. The brackets that locate the panhard bar are hard to come by but ECE has the u-bolt brackets for the trailing arms. Better to get an adjustable bar and the bracket that fits on the axle.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 10-23-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
powerbench

it's a half ton morgsie, what a shame i had all the stuff on the 72 i just wrecked....wife wanted it out of the driveway...something about junk yard in the front yard....neighbors....blahblah blah.....i wanted to keep it for just such a reason...oh well..i'll have to look in to ECE buffalo elk.....i saw they make the solid trailing arms which look slick..but we will have to see how the budget breaks down....i have a 67 chevelle that has been screaming at me for 17 years to be restored.....so i might just have to make the truck good for now..

Last edited by powerbench; 10-25-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
Morgsie

I'm looking for 3/4ton leafs and hangers for a buddies truck that has coils on it. Too bad cause I'm just in Delta.
Morgsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
2bits

Yah, I've just swapped from leaves to coils (I'm Kelly's friend haha) using the leaf rear end. I changed frames so I didn't have any issues with the front of the trailing arms, but to attach the rear end, I had to cut the shock mounts and leaf mounts off the axle, and pick up trailing arm mounts, I am going to use the "super trackbar" that is extra long and mounts to the passenger side trailing arm mount, the kit includes the U-bolts you'll need too. All parts came from Early Classic. You will have to weld on the trailing arm mounts to the axle, and don't forget about the bracket on the frame for the track bar too, mine had it, your's ight not.

Looking back, I wish I could have just found a coil spring rear end and bolted the dang thing in. That would have saved alot of cutting, grinding and welding, and I could still sell the leaf rear end, but it's in now...

'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
Ackattack

I have a 3/4 ton parts truck that has the complete setup. I'm not that far from you if you want to come down and get it. Just an idea.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 AM   #10
powerbench

thanks akattack, i'am probably a few hrs away.......i will keep that in mind..
i just read back my posts...should have said i have the rear end and axles...3:42 posi........i just went through some old post and saw (and remembered what the bracket) for the track arm looks like.....then realize i need to find the linkage for my turbo 400(had a slap stick in the old truck and don't want to use that ....rather have a columm shift) thanks for all the help and info gentlemen
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #11
powerbench

Hey morgsie...i don't know if it is any good to you, but i where there is a step side long box in a guys carport...i think it's a 3/4 ton ...but i seem to remeber them saying it had 1 ton leafs on it ...been sitting there for ever , they were trying to sell it ...but i never got to the money part....just wasn't in good enough shape to fix up...might be able to score it for parts though. the guys in the guildford area.

Last edited by powerbench; 10-26-2007 at 03:02 AM.