The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Need Help Several Dumb Questions

Well everyone my project is about to change and I need some quick info:

My 71 GMC measures in at 22 ft long the new one I am looking at is a 67 SWB what is the true measurement of length on it my garage is only 17.5 ft long and if I can fit her in my wife might forgive me. She accepts Orange being outside only because it was her granfathers.

My 71 has a posi 3.73 12 bolt in it is it possible to just switch the whole gear set out on a non-posi truck, or will I have to switch out the whole rear end and more since it will be going from a GMC to a Chevy.

Lastly how big of a nightmare will it be to take the front end off the GMC this would switch it from 6 lug drum to 5 lug disks. If I do this I realize I will have to switch the whole rear end to make her all 5 lug.

Any help is appreciated this was one of those spur of the moment changes I had not planned for that I am sure will cost more $$$ to the project but what ya going to do
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
MotorSeven
Restoration Desperation

Re: Need Help Several Dumb Questions

Jeff,

I got 16' give or take a couple of inches on my 68 short step(you owe me it wis raining!) Funny thing, i am in the middle of swapping the whole front end disc for a 80 model truck with power brakes. I went back & forth deciding to swap spindles or the whole thing. Since the engine is comming out(305 has a bad bottom end) i am definatly going for the full Monty. With the engine in, it looks to be a pia, but i bet several guys have done it here. I am looking for a posi rear end and headed to the junk yard whenever the rain lets up.

We fired up the newely built 350 on the floor of the garage last noght..........ahhhhh, what a beautifull sound!

RD
MotorSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjh1316 View Post
My 71 has a posi 3.73 12 bolt in it is it possible to just switch the whole gear set out on a non-posi truck, or will I have to switch out the whole rear end and more since it will be going from a GMC to a Chevy.
If the 67 has 3.73's in it, you can just leave the pinions in, and swap the carriers. You have to check your backlash though.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
acl

I might be able to help with the 6 to 5 lug rear end. Just remove the axles and send them to Moser in Indiana. Just tell them the pattern you want and they will re-tap YOUR axles to that pattern. With shipping I think it was less than $120.00. Much easier than buying and swaping rear ends.
Gary
acl is offline   Reply With Quote