The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Need some advise

Hello all:
I am planning my truck's next project/upgrade: engine and transmission. Here is the story; I believe I have a good engine. It drives fine, no smoke and takes off fast. I am planning to check the compression but have not done it yet. the problems are 1- oil leaks 2- possible Valve guide issues. I believe my engine is 350 but what year? I don't know. All numbers on the block have been scraped off. As far as transmision goes, Ihave 3 on the tree.
Now these are the question:
1- What are the most common area for oil leaks? I have read here that dropping the oil pan to change the gasket and possible find a number on the block is a pain. If this true anybody has any tips?
2- If I want to change the cylinder head, what are the suggestion? specially if I don't have any block number?
3- I really like the manual. I read a lot the camaro's five speed is not a best choice. Any ideas?
4- Finally the most important issues: This my first truck rebuild (in that matter, car or truck) therefore I need something that I can handle. Second, I reely need to stay within budget.
thanks for any help.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
clay68c10

Re: Need some advise

It would take a lot of work to grind down the casting # at the left rear of the block. Maybe it's just covered up with old oily dirt. Have you tried to get that area clean? Having a casting # would help you figure out what eng you have and make some of your future repairs easier.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
bent
The master of disaster

Ok the best thing to do on a budget is hit the wrecking yards there is still plenty amounts of good used parts.

As far as the heads most chevy and GM vehicles came equipped with SB350 engines so i would start there.

As far as what you said about the casting numbers i can completley with what clay68c10 said. Just you some degreaser and wash the block off.

As far as aeras of leakes if it is comming from the heads you need a rebuild fast and if its comming from the pan un do the radiator hoses and pull the fan and radiator and pull the exhaust manifold and engine mount bolts and get the cherry picker and lift the engine but not too much just enough to give youre self a little working room.

I hope this helps.

Life is like a jar of japalino's what you do today will burn youre a$$ tomorrow!
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

You mentioned no smoking, then said something about your valve guides. If your valve guides are worn, you will see smoke on start-up. It happens because the oil gets past the worn guide and down into the top of the cylinder where it is burned off at start-up. Studebaker used an umbrella-style seal (that Chevy didn't use) on the top of the head that was a remedy for those worn and leaky guides. The seals won't serve to fix a worn guide, but are designed to keep worn guides from allowing the oil to seep down the valve stem and into the combustion chamber.

As far as potential sources for oil leaks....anywhere there is a gasket there is a possible leak. Anywhere. If it is a seal, it can leak. The issue becomes sticky in trying to figure out WHICH seal is leaking. Since leaking fluids run downhill, it is easy to be mis-lead and assume that the leak is at an entirely different point than it actually is.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
Nima
Blue 67

thanks for inputs. About the valve guides, then if I don't see any smoke at start, then I don't have a worn guide? Also about the oil pan, is it possible or easier to drop the cross member that removing radiator and etc? Just a thought.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote