The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
bighorse

Opinions requested on parts truck

I posted earlier about helping a friend's son restore a '67. I found an '87 SWB for a donor truck for PDB, PS, etc. It's a V6 truck, but the motor is bad and sitting in the bed, and it comes with a 5.7 TBI and auto tranny from an early 90's Caprice police car. The cab and bed appear to be straight and in good condition, but it has been repainted so there's no way to tell what's underneath the paint. The grill is good, as is the tailgate, bumpers, etc. It has some decent looking 15x8 Enkei aluminum wheels similar in style to the one below. The hard lines have been removed from the PS gearbox with nothing to keep the rain out, and the truck has been sitting with the hood off for a couple years. Is the gearbox likely to be ruined?

The asking price is $1000 but I might be able to get it for a hundred or so less. Will this truck have enough salvage value after I rob the steering and suspension parts to make it worth buying?

Last edited by bighorse; 10-31-2007 at 11:42 PM.
bighorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
wibilly

Re: Opinions requested on parts truck

what tranny? it sounds like alot of money for the parts you want from it. it's alot of work to part one, most times my time to remove and ship a part is worth more than the part
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
bighorse

I own a towing business and I have people by here all the time wanting to buy salvage, so parting out the remainder of the truck shouldn't be a problem. Incidentally, the truck belongs to one of the mechanics at a shop I tow for. He's honest as the day is long (and an incredible mechanic, too) and he said he drove the car that the motor and tranny came out of and he wouldn't have any concerns about dropping them in without rebuilding either. I know he wouldn't want to screw me over then have to look at me every other day when I bring vehicles to his shop.

How much should I expect to pay for a used but running engine, overdrive tranny, all of the suspension and power steering parts, plus some nice wheels?
bighorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think the 87 is going to be too new for the front suspension to swap.The cut off is right there somewhere and I "think" it's 86.Someone should chime in.That doesn't resolve the engine issue but if it's good it should make a nice reliable cruiser.Keep in mind you will need the electronics to run the TBI and it may be cheaper to swap to a carb intake and carb.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I think the 87 is going to be too new for the front suspension to swap.The cut off is right there somewhere and I "think" it's 86......
73-87 for C-10 trucks.

Sounds like a 600-700 truck to me. with the motor and tranny thrown in.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote