The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
berencam

couple questions

found a 72 with factory disks in front power brakes and steering, and a 350 for 1500. this my be my new truck. my only concern is that the p.o. installed a newer automatic tranny and looks like bolted a newer car console shifter( you know the one thats to the right of you) well its supposed to work just fine but looks tacky imo... how hard would it be to get that back on the column where it belongs. the only other area of concern is it only has a un optioned gauge cluster, no oil, no temp, no ammeter, nothing... how hard is it to get a new cluster installed in these things, and what about cost? im not really made out of money and am relying on a old boss to get the 1500 for the truck in the first place. can a used cluster be installed relatively easily or is it alot of wiring.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
hyarbour

Re: couple questions

Regular steering columns are easy to get at any junk yard, the tilts from the 80's vans work too (look for the vans that have the ignition on the dash). For the cluster, you can find them at the junk yards, buy whole new ones or buy an empty one and put in gauges you like and can afford. There's also 5" gauges available that contain up to 4 different gauges if you have the money
hyarbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
berencam

how much would one of those 4 way gauges run
Old 11-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

If you swap the non gauge cluster for a gauge cluster you have to run all the senders and wiring for it. If you get the dash out of another truck get the wiring under the dash as well.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
chris71

do you have an auto column already? if so all you probably need to do is get the 3 piece linkage setup (out of a junkyard perhaps) and hook it up. you could probably get a 7 gauge cluster out of a yard for $20-30 if you look. plus wires and senders. there are articles in the FAQ section of this website that tell you how to convert a 3 gauge to a 7 gauge cluster. another option that may be chaeper and or less time consuming is to just get a 3 gauge set up from auto gauge (Summit catalog) for $45 -50 senders included and stick it below the dash. remember those stock gauges arent always reliable and may require some work especially if they are used. good luck
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote