The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
crosby

79 stepper

Hi guys, it's been a while. I found a 79 Chevy stepside with a boatload of new parts, been sitting a while, and it does have a tired 305 in it. Although it's muddy, the frame and body look great. Supposedly, it was restored six years ago, and the owner died during the bodywork. It was finished and sat outside for years until the PO picked it up. Then his kid ran it into a tree (at low speed?) and wasted the nose. There are junkyard fenders on the front, as is the hood and rad support. I got him down to $2800, hoping to at least scrape some of the frame down and verify that it's as solid as he says. I would need a nose at some point, and I really want to be sure it keeps the 79 look. It's got a GMC grill now, but I think they're interchangeable aren't they? It's also got a 4 speed, I assume an SM 465, it does have the granny low, a 205 xfer and the 305 is leaking out the rear main seal, making the clutch pretty touchy. I found only a small pinhole in the cab floor by the front cab mount, which seems odd when the rest of it looks so great. Any advice? I would like to paint it bright red and do a nice maroon interior with a body color dash (metal part), newer seat, etc. Thanks for your input guys.
Attached Images

crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Re: 79 stepper

Looks good, price is maybe a bit high considering the engine condition, but then again if body and frame are rust-free that's a great selling point. Looks like it's got some nice lift too, and I bet those tires ain't cheap either.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan D. View Post
Looks good, price is maybe a bit high considering the engine condition,
Yes, but the location is New Hampshire--- a relatively rust free truck there is a gem. A 350 rebuild is cheap, and who ever keeps the stock motor in a project anyway

Your bright red/ maroon interior idea is spot - on. I had a truck with that color combo a few years ago, but did not know about this board then or i would have posted up some pics.

Paint was Nason Holly Red (lower priced version of Porsche Guards Red) with Maroon seats pirated from a late 80's truck
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #4
crosby

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I have had a few projects that didn't work out because of body work, and up here a good solid body makes up for a lot. You can find 350s at the side of the road, but not too many 4x4 steppers. I am hoping to pick it up, and at least make it a driver for the immediate future, maybe a backup/extra vehicle. Someday I might like to make it an automatic, but I'll be happy just to get it for now.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
crosby

Hi guys. Picked up the stepside this weekend. It has the wrong nose on it, and I want to put it back to the 1978 style I think it should have anyway. Any opinions on Goodmark sheet metal? The passenger door is not rusted, but dented and kinked, and I need both front fenders, valance, hood and rad support. I am not sure I want a cowl hood, any opinions on that? I think the stock hood looks pretty good. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
streetstar

I didnt think there was a diff. between 78 and 79 other than the grille -- but i've been wrong before

50/50 on Goodmark based on what i have heard -- a few claim its great for aftermarket stuff, but an equal amount hate it (even stock stuff rarely fits perfect if it comes from a dfferent vehicle though)
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

getcha a 2" cowl hood. It looks mean, but not gaudy like a 4" does.
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
crosby

Thanks guys. I believe a 79 has the chrome that wraps around the directionals also, like my GMC front as shown. The 78 and earlier had a loop that turned off into the grill from under the headlights, which is the style I like the best. It looks older to me. I think the truck is really a 78, but I am not sure how to tell. Does anybody know where I can decode the VIN, if at all? I think the jambs don't have the info on these older trucks, or maybe it was painted over? That 305 is bleeding from every orifice. I think I need to get a new motor, but that may take some time. At least I've got it now, and it can wait if it has to. That fleetside bumper has to come off in the rear too. I am hoping to change the rear main seal this weekend, so I can drive it without carrying a case of oil everywhere

I think the Goodmark stuff is the best of the cheap Chinese crap basically. I would prefer OEM, but like you said even that doesn't always line right up when it comes off another truck. If I am getting used fenders and doors, I want to hold off until I can get as close to perfect as I can find. Anybody with a Goodmark cowl hood? Pictures? I am not sure how it will look. Thanks again everybody!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
Bowed

the hood you have is 78 - 79 because it has the extra lip on the front . Replacement fenders are no different then you have there , all the same those years . Just change the headlight bezles and trim pieces if you want the earlier 73 - 77 look , it was all in the trim .

Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Looks like you got a solid one. I love the look in the pic below. You know that rear bumper needs a new home dont'cha?

If you can find a fresh GM door it might be cheaper than taking the wrinkles out of that one. I haven't had any experience with aftermarket doors, but I have yet to hear anything good about them.

I can tell you that the Goodmark fenders are top quality. I just bought one for my 82 Blazer and it was heavier than a GM fender. The lines and creases were very sharp as well. Send a PM to Capt Kaos and let him take care of your sheetmetal needs.

I agree that the 73-77 headlamp bezels are cleaner looking. The only problem is finding them. No one makes a metal replacement. They make plastic ones but I hear they don't last long. Again, talk with Chris ( Capt Kaos) and he will have what you need.

It's just my opinion, but I don't really like cowl hoods on SWB trucks. They seem to distract from the rest of the truck...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 AM   #11
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby View Post
I am not sure I want a cowl hood, any opinions on that? I think the stock hood looks pretty good. Thanks.
IMO, a cowl hood looks good when you have other mods. But that truck has a nice stock look to it besides the lift.
After market rims, billet grill, stuff like that - yeah, a cowl hood would match up pretty well.
Stock rallyes, original grill set-up, etc - stock hood.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
crosby

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. I am going to pick up an OEM 78 nose and doors today at lunch, really good shape, but white with scallops on the doors. I only need one door, and I am hoping to paint these pieces to match at least for now. I am not sure about the cowl hood, been trying to find a picture of one to see how they look. I do need to get rid of that rear bumper. If anybody is interested I will post an ad shortly, plus the leftover parts from today. I think I need to pay up my membership, it's been a while and I am glad to be back, even if I'm on a tight budget.

Last edited by crosby; 11-03-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
crosby

Hi guys. Kevin, I think you're right on. I found a pic on the net of a black stepper with a 2" cowl hood (I am guessing) that looks really good. My wife doesn't like the rally wheels, and while I think they are okay for now, they're not my first choice. I do want the truck to look "classy" though. I like the darker gray American Racing wheels that are dished, have the big round holes (like the original MT/Alcoas). They have a Hummer-like rock crawler look to them. With a bright red paint job, I think they would look cool and not overpower the paint. Hmmmm....