The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
68 P.O.S.

Question Brake Warning Light

Mine turned on after work today. I haven't had time to check it very well yet, but I did find a burned out tail light. I had a co-worker follow me home just in case, but the brakes worked fine with no noticeable difference from normal performance. What does this light exactly warn you of??? Is it for anything specific or is it for the overall braking system as a whole? My brakes, hoses, and cylinders are all <1 yr old so I doubt it is that. Will I need a new prop vale maybe? This may be the perfect excuse to upgrade to power discs! Hopefully my wife will see it that way.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Brake Warning Light

The wire for the light goes to the master cylinder, so I would guess it's telling you the brake fluid is low.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
northerngmc

Normally it is hooked up to the master cylinder, so check the fluid and look for leaks.

HAve you owned the truck very long? I have read on here where some have installed a switch on the E brake pedal and hooked it up to light up when the E brake is on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
69halfton

just recently, everytime i start the truck, the brake light comes on, but then goes off after maybe 2-3 seconds.

seems normal like every other car these days, except that it just started doing it for no reason...?

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
68 P.O.S.

I checked the fluid level and it was fine. After I read your post 71swb4x4, I realized that I checked the level before driving home. So, I just double checked it to be sure and realized I did something really stupid. After I initially checked the fluid level, one of my superiors distracted me trying to help, and I forgot to put the cap back on the reservoir. Luckily I didn't lose the cap. After it fell off and got fluid everywhere, it wedged between the speedo cable & frame. I think that qualifies for the dumbass of the month award that someone was talking about on here. on a good note, the fluid level is still fine by the way. So does anyone have any other suggestions????

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 11-03-2007 at 10:12 PM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngmc View Post
Have you owned the truck very long? I have read on here where some have installed a switch on the E brake pedal and hooked it up to light up when the E brake is on.
I've had the truck for 2 yrs now. I installed a painless harness and have had no problems with it except for my own stupid mistakes I've had to fix. I don't know why, but if anyone has problems with their truck, it is always me. My friends always mess with me about that. Anyway, I don't have an e brake on it, I haven't splurged for that yet.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The red brake light is supposed to come on when you start the truck... it's supposed to be on when the key is in the crank position.
otherwise, all it will indicate, is an unballanced pressure in the system.
it won't show if you are low, but it will tell you if one side is empty.

I would start with unplugging the brown wire from the proportioning valve. If the light turns off, then it is doing it's job properly, and there is actually a problem being indicated.
if it stays on, troubleshoot your harness you installed.
After that, i would bleed the whole system very thouroughly... keeping a very close eye for leaks.
if it is still on, then you need to reset the valve inside the proportioning valve assembly. Do this by slamming on the brakes as fast and hard as you can (truck not moving)... imagine running 110 MPH, and a cow jumps in front of you.
yeah, THAT hard.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I would start with unplugging the brown wire from the proportioning valve. If the light turns off, then it is doing it's job properly, and there is actually a problem being indicated.
if it stays on, troubleshoot your harness you installed.
After that, i would bleed the whole system very thouroughly... keeping a very close eye for leaks.
if it is still on, then you need to reset the valve inside the proportioning valve assembly. Do this by slamming on the brakes as fast and hard as you can (truck not moving)... imagine running 110 MPH, and a cow jumps in front of you.
yeah, THAT hard.
I unplugged the brown wire and the light stays on. Fluid level is still okay. Tried resetting the valve to no avail. I'll have to trace the system and harness tomorrow in the sunlight. Any idea which section of my Painless harness I should check? If it's not either of those things is the prop valve then?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if you unplug it, and the light stays on, then the problem si probably in the harness.
I have no clue where to look in your harness. I have never messed with an aftermarket harness. I've only seen one truck in my life that NEEDED a replacement harness.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote