The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #26
Roman

Re: frame welding

You are right, the innershield flux cored .030 and .035 wire is normally bought separate. You may need to look at the book or check the Lincoln website for your specific model. Good luck~

Last edited by Roman; 11-06-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #27
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
PS These frames are mild carbon steel .03 to .31% carbon. .. you cant draw out the carbon or harden it. Cracking can be caused by cold laps or any number of other welding/fabrication mistakes. This can all be avoided by using the right welder in the right (qualified) hands. Surely you can find someone to help.
Thats good info I didnt know that. Where did you get the info on the frame steel? I also am a firm believer that the steel in these frames is better/purer steel than some of the newer stuff out there.
I had always understood that you didnt want to use too much heat as it negatively affected the steel in the area of the weld. So I have always been extra careful not to allow heat to spread over a large area, and use heat sinks.
Doesent the weld also have to be able to flex like the frame? I know these frames twist & flex and so if a repair is too ridgid, wouldnt that lead to craking right next to the repair?

In any event I havent had a weld, repair or modification fail so I must have been doing something right!

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #28
Roman

Chevy Mech, the skill and technique of the welder is important. You are right, frames have those little holes all around to allow flex. I’m sure there is some engineering formula to estimate where they should be. That would be a technical question. I drilled the holes back where I placed a reinforcing bracket. We didn't weld all around the bracket to avoid making it too rigid. Several members have done this already; I would have to ask around to see if anyone experienced any problems.

Last edited by Roman; 11-06-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote