The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

bigger speakers in dash?

Okay I been on a quest to find the best way to mount speakers using what I have. I just can't see paying $70 for kick panels. Has anyone ever mounted like 5" speakers or bigger in the dash? It seems as if it is very possible on the passenger side and you could probably even get away with almost a 6X9 in the middle. However it would be a tight squeeze to put a bigger speaker on the drivers side. Has anyone done it or have blue prints on how to do it? I would just rather put two bigger speakers in the front dash on the sides rather than cutting the doors or adding kickpanels.

Any advice? Thoughts? HELP!

Thanks guys!
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Yankeelights

Re: bigger speakers in dash?

I mounted two 4 inch mid-range radiosmack speakers in place of the center single speaker. I made my own adapter using 1/4" birch plywood and bent new steel mounting straps in a vice. It doesn't have great stereo separation but at least all of the sound is there.
Yankeelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Hazieview

I am attempting to put 5" speakers in the dash corners. I dont know if I can make it work. If it doesn't I am just going to put tweeters in the dash corners.

SOMEONE PLEASE TALK ME OUT OF CUTTING MY DOORS! I am looking for a cheap route. I dont want to spend the $70 on kickpanels plus I dont like them because they dont look stock. Any other advice?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I put a pair of 4 1/2 (IIRC) together in the center hole of the dash, and a set of tweeters in the outboard holes of my 87. It worked great.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

dont cut yuor doors.. i have door cuts on mine and im buying new doors now.. if you shop around you can find a decent set of speakers that will work. My son who is into all that stereo stuff put two aftermarket speakers behind the seat and he set something under the dash with a JVC cd player stereo and it sounds fine.. now i cant turn the radio up and vibrate down the street like he can but for me its fine

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

I cut and mounted two 6.5's in the dash of mine...shorted out my circuit board lol... and none of the lights work now, but she is looooud

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
77GMCTruck

I refused to cut holes in my doors when I started looking at options for upgrading the stereo in my truck.

This is a good option and they have some ideal products, especially if you're wanting to maintain the "stock" appearance.

http://www.casmfg.com/
77GMCTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Pyrotechnic

My setup is all going to be behind my seat when it's all said and done. I'm just going to do a pair of 6x9's or 6.5's in some boxes and call it good. Not the best way to do it but they can definitely be heard.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #9
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

I like those 8"s...they'd fit real clean behind my seat and still allow my bottle teehee!

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 AM   #10
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

i just put 3 inchers back in after the stock ones went. but they are alpine series s so they rock.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
Hazieview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I put a pair of 4 1/2 (IIRC) together in the center hole of the dash, and a set of tweeters in the outboard holes of my 87. It worked great.
I think this might be my best option. I am going to try to put the two 5" speakers in the middle with the two tweeters in the outside holes. The truck currently has some crappy sony tweeters bolted down by the visor but I dont really like that look. I was going to get the 3" infinity speakers from best buy but they were $109 because they are considered speciallty speakers. For that same amount of money you can get a pair of 5" with almost 3 times the power so......

I ended up buying some Ample Exonic 5" component speakers for only $130. I have never heard of the brand but I was told they were badass speakers for the price. They sacrificed looks for quality which is good in my opinion. I will also be mounting some Pioneer TS-D901P 6X9s in the back. Thanks for all you help. What do you think of the setup I am possibly going with?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
limpin75chevy

I got 6x9's in my dash and doors and the really rock. look horrible. ( got it that way) 6x9's in dash are rotted from sun
limpin75chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
Hazieview

The only way to fit the 5" speaker in the drivers side corner is to get new guages. The magnet on the speaker is so big it hits the plastic part of my guage "inclosure" (whatever it's called).

So I have to take this to another post. "Swaping out Speedometer Guage"

Thanks for all your help! I'm not cutting my doors!!! haha!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
limpin75chevy

I would not have done it if i had the choice.
limpin75chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
Hazieview

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpin75chevy View Post
I would not have done it if i had the choice.
Yeah man I understand I wasn't poking fun. So far everyone who says they have cut there doors or have bought them that way are saying that they regret it. So I'm not gunna cut mine either.

I ran into another snag!!! Now on the passengerside the plastic piece behind the vent that the hose connect to... My speaker hits it. If I ever get these speakers in it will be a miracle. I think I am in over my head!.....
Old 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #16
Pyrotechnic

Put stock size speakers back in the dash, 3.5 or 4x6 or whatever it is. Then get some 6x9's or 6.5's in boxes behind the seat. Use the fader on your head unit just set the front speakers just loud enough to provide some stereo imaging with the emphasis on volume being towards the rear speakers to give fullness. Good stereo imaging with fullness that doesn't require you to cut anything.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #17
Hazieview

cutting the doors

I found some infinits that are 3.5" but at best buy but they were $109!!! I can't pay that for those speakers. They just wheren't that powerful and you can buy some that are 3 times more powerful for the same price.

What is the downside to cutting the doors other than a big ugly hole? I mean if you want to cover it back up you could just use sheetmetal and put the carpet back over it.

Will the quality of the sound be affected?

Any other downside?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #18
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Given these trucks are at least 20 years old, a lot of the weatherstripping is toast. Water will get through that, and roast your speaker. Also, they tend to vibrate like crazy. I reeeeeeeeealy did not want to cut anything, so that is the route I went. It's been a few years ago, so I don't remember the size that was used. A friend of mine has a stereo shop, and is into these trucks as well, so I let him do it. I had the 4.5 (or 5.25's, I don't remember which) in the center holes, tweeters in the outboard holes, and a 10 behind the seat. It sounded pretty good, and we didn't have to cut anything. The only downside is that the seat didn't go all the way back.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #19
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Use kicks instead of cutting the doors. You get better imaging that way since the the distance the speakers are from your ears on either side is a lot closer to even. Not the case with door speakers. Plus, you don't have to cut your doors.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
Hazieview

From what I've seen kickpanels are really expensive... Like $70. Plus they dont look stock. They almost look like they would get in the way. What about if I put the speakers in the doors an then put some type of plastic or metal "rain guard on top of them? Like cut a piece of plastic out and secure it over the top of the speaker to where water wont get on it.

I have heard that people have had to do a lot of modifying to get the kickpanels to work. I would hate to spend $70 bucks and then modify it.... I still dont know what to do...
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
1969burb

Smile Re: bigger speakers in dash?

I saw someone's 81-87 era truck where a four or five inch speaker was cut through the factory kick panel (bottom section) I can't remember who, but it looked very clean. Has anyone else done this? any additional info would be great! thanks!!
1969burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #22
Pyrotechnic

Re: cutting the doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
I found some infinits that are 3.5" but at best buy but they were $109!!! I can't pay that for those speakers.
I didn't recommend what I said because it was expensive, I recommend that method because it's actually VERY cheap and simple.

3.5's for the dash --> http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=3&tp=96&avf=N

6.5's behind the seat -->
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0TSG1641&tp=95

Thats $90 for 4 speakers that any decent head unit can provide plenty of power to. I've installed these speakers in a friends truck and the end result was nice.