The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #26
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Re: New wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Thanks for the chop Boxrodz . I actually like the 2.5/4 . I have shackles so if the springs dont let ig go down enough , I can add the shackles . I also can work with the front . The truck does have the 56 inch springs so the fact that I dont have to cut the bed is nice .
You're welcome.
I pchopped a couple mo' using the dark side shot. First one is a 2.5"/4" drop. And, the second one is a 3"/4" drop in case you decide to 'nudge' the front down a bit mo'. (It's hard to tell from the pics, but an extra 1/2" can be noticable.) My bet is that you may have to use the hanger and shackle to get the 4" drop in the rear... But, no cutting just grinding/drilling.

BTW, until your 18x10s come in, you could always run your truck like this rodder did.

Quote:
I would like to see them on Kurts truck . Frank
We wouldn't want to influence him in 'customizing' his Original-looking truck.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #27
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
...We wouldn't want to influence him in 'customizing' his Original-looking truck.
Yes we would...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #28
f.monroe

Thanks for all the photochop work and the suggestions . I ordered the rear wheels then called American Racing to make sure they got the fax. I ordered them 18x10 with 5.25 inches of backspace . That will give them a little more depth in the rear an I think it will look like I want it to . I used to run 275/60/15's rear on 10 inch wheels and liked that so this should be the more modern equivalent . I also can use these 18's on my longbed if I ever decide to run 20's . Its a win/win . I dont mean to be a pest , but can you increase the rear tire diameter in photoshop ? If so would you (Boxrodz) mind adding two inches in overall height to the rear tires ? Thanks , Frank

Kurt, I am going to have to take a look at the black truck someday . I also want to put an eye on Kens 77 .
Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #29
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Yes we would...
I'll see what I can do when I get some time ...
Then, I'll post it on the www.underground67-72chevytruck.com.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #30
boxrodz

Quote:
... I dont mean to be a pest , but can you increase the rear tire diameter in photoshop ? If so would you (Boxrodz) mind adding two inches in overall height to the rear tires ? Thanks , Frank
No problem, Frank.

I was initially going to pchop that included the increased sidewall height of the rear tire, but I didn't have the current size of those tires pictured. Given what you said, I'm assuming that the overall height is 29" for the front and 31" for the rear for a 2" stagger. I've increased the rear sidewall by 2" and lightened the picture to show the effect of the drop and rake with the 275/60s in the rear.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #31
f.monroe

I appreciate your work . that is awesome . With the stance it has , it just screams Big Block. Now if I can only make the stance a reality , I can start working on the big block part . I guess I need to pull the 74 GMC up to the house and pull the 454/th400 . I wish I had the means to do a Ramjet 502 or even a 502/502 crate install . Maybe sell the 87 3/4 ton .... Thanks again , Frank
Old 11-07-2007, 05:41 AM   #32
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Maybe sell the 87 3/4 ton .... Thanks again , Frank
If you ever do, please let us know here first...I might be interested depending on the timing.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #33
f.monroe

I just ordered the front spindles, rear leaf springs , and drop shocks for the rear . Should be here next week . Frank
Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #34
77GMCTruck

Man that 2.5/4 inch drop (photochop) looks awesome! I might have to just surprise the wife one of these days and do it without her knowledge.
77GMCTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #35
bluex

Quote:
Thanks for the chop Boxrodz . I actually like the 2.5/4 . I have shackles so if the springs dont let ig go down enough , I can add the shackles . I also can work with the front . The truck does have the 56 inch springs so the fact that I dont have to cut the bed is nice . I would like to see them on Kurts truck . Frank

I have the long leaves on mine and with the shackles set on 2" the top of the spring is sitting on the bed floor, but its not hurting anything as far as I can tell.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #36
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Now that looks cool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
No problem, Frank.

I was initially going to pchop that included the increased sidewall height of the rear tire, but I didn't have the current size of those tires pictured. Given what you said, I'm assuming that the overall height is 29" for the front and 31" for the rear for a 2" stagger. I've increased the rear sidewall by 2" and lightened the picture to show the effect of the drop and rake with the 275/60s in the rear.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #37
KMK454

Quote:
I just ordered the front spindles, rear leaf springs , and drop shocks for the rear . Should be here next week . Frank
Frank, that's going to look great. Mine would be slammed if it didn't require the C-Notch in the frame. Of course, if you drop yours without chopping anything I may have to check it out for ideas...
1991 Camaro B4C
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #38
f.monroe

Kurt , I am dropping it with rear leafs and I do not intend to chop anything . The rear springs were $300 but if I can keep from cutting it , it will be worth it I am getting excited about how it will look when the rear wheels in . I hope American Racing is right with the mid december target date . Frank
Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #39
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
Frank, that's going to look great. Mine would be slammed if it didn't require the C-Notch in the frame. Of course, if you drop yours without chopping anything I may have to check it out for ideas...
I have the drop leaves on the rear for my 2.5/4. Mine is the truck Frank mentioned as the one he was going to model his drop after. I don't have the frame notched, but there isn't really much suspension travel. It bottoms out occasionally if I hit just the right kind of bump, but it is quite tolerable. IIRC, you have a fiberglass cover, and the weight of it might make it ride a little lower.

My next step will be to remove the metal bracket that holds the bumpstop in place (it sits between the axle and the frame), and I think that will give me plenty of suspension travel. My plan is to remove it without damaging it if possible so I can put it back in place if I ever change my mind.

My truck sits almost dead level, but the different height fender opening front and rear make it look lower in the back. I'm hoping to get some 1" drop springs soon to remendy that.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask, but it might be a good idea to PM me. I rarely have time to drop in here any more.

Slonaker

Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #40
f.monroe

Thats the truck . I think Slonaker has new coil springs also . Mine are original and i believe it will sit a little lower . I have a new pair of Belltech 1 inch drop springs in my 77 long bed if I need them . Frank
Old 11-07-2007, 11:17 PM   #41
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Yep, my coil springs were new when I installed the spindles. The old ones had the front end almost as low as the new ones with the drop spindles.

Slonaker