The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Rear brake problems

When I put my new rear end in the truck, I used the brakes on that one, instead of using my old ones (mine were trashed anyways). We bled the brakes, they worked great, and the next day they didn't work again. So we bled them again, and the very next day they didn't work again.

I've been watching the fluid level, and it's not getting low. There's also no leaks anywhere in the brake system. I was told that it may be possible for air to be getting in the rear lines or bleeders without fluid actually coming out, but I'm not sure how true this could be.

The only other thing I can think of, is a bad proportioning valve. But it seems odd that the valve would go bad right when the rear end was put in.

Anyone have any ideas?
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Rear brake problems

as a rule of thumb if im going to change the rear i will change the rear hose . i would also if you got the rear out of a junkyard change the cylinders too i mean we are talking about $33 dollars extra, and that is just insurance
are you sure the brake line where you connected the rear together is seated right and there are no kinks in the steel brake lines

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
xtreme80

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
as a rule of thumb if im going to change the rear i will change the rear hose . i would also if you got the rear out of a junkyard change the cylinders too i mean we are talking about $33 dollars extra, and that is just insurance
are you sure the brake line where you connected the rear together is seated right and there are no kinks in the steel brake lines
There shouldn't be kinks, cuz I can bleed them all day long and the fluid flows very freely through the bleeder. Also, the rear brakes are brand new on this truck, including cylinders and brake lines. It was spotless when I put it in, and it was completely obvious it was all new.

I'm going to try bleeding it one more time and see how that goes. I may even buy a couple new bleeder screws for the rear, and clean out the threads to make sure air isn't coming back in.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
xtreme80

Anyone?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I'm going to try bleeding it one more time and see how that goes. I may even buy a couple new bleeder screws for the rear, and clean out the threads to make sure air isn't coming back in.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #6
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Do you have a loose fitting somewhere on the lines? I had a similar issue, rear brakes would bleed but as I used them they would soften, turns out one of the fittings in the engine bay wasn't sealing quite right - replace the fitting, all is good.