The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
69heavychevy

paint concern

with all these recalls on chinese toys, it got to thinking. i'm about to strip the paint off the tailgate i bought for my truck and was wondering if they used lead in the paint they sprayed our trucks with. does anyone know if this was the case.
69heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
wibilly

Re: paint concern

i'de be willing to bet there is.i belive all paints before sometime in the 80's had some amount of lead in it. having been a house painter for 25 plus years and having cut my teeth on lead painted toys and crib i can safyly tell you it wom't kill you fast anyhow
Old 11-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
mrein3

ALWAYS wear a respirator when removing or applying automotive paint.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

I know that 1978 was the year that the use of lead was outlawed in house paints (& I think in all other kinds of paint, like automotive, too). However, the manufacturors were allowed to use up (sell) all their existing supplies. My parents worked in a paint store at that time, and I remember that the "use up existing supplies" also meant they were able to sell off all on-the-shelf inventories, which often could be around in stores for several years. As long as it took to sell it.

I work in real estate now, & we're required by law to get a special disclosure form signed concerning the potential for there being lead paint present in any house of 1978 (or older) vintage. I'd be concerned about it being there in houses well up into the 1980's actually.

So yeah, I'd bet there's lead in the old paint on our trucks. It's what helped the paint last a long time & resist mold growth (hey - it's a POISON - kills mold, too).

I'm not an expert on lead, and don't want to preach --- but consider this, that I've often read:

Lead poisoning is very sneaky - you don't know that you (or your children) may have it. You just get a little sick, and in children, it especially damages their brain development & future intellectual abilities (how smart - or stupid - they're going to turn out to be).

Truly stupid - with no way to really get better - NOT being joking or funny.

Lead poisoning is tough & expensive for a doctor to fix, too, even if they catch it.

Be careful.

Sanding dust is where you or your kids would be most likely to get it.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
b-rad
Account Suspended

i was born in 83 and my and my baby bed had lead paint not dead YET u will be k
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Piece of Work
Cultural Infidel

It's not just lead you have to be concerned with. Pigments in paint were/are metal based compounds. That is one reason colors are harder to match today, especially red tones where cadmium was used in the past. Always protect yourself.

-Mark

-Mark

1972 C-10 Fleetside 350/TH350 PS PB A/C Cab Sadly....Sold
1968 Short Fleet 350/TH400 PS PB Delivered by Fine69 Also sadly Sold!

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
A man is not complete until he is married -- then he is finished.
Piece of Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Premium72

ehh,. youll be okay. just start sanding and breath real deep.. theres more lead in womens lip stick then in chineese toys.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
69heavychevy

lol, thanks guys. yea i always take precautions when doing anykind of body work. i kind of figured the paint had to have lead in because i sprayed some paint remover on the tailgate and it didnt do much. this stuff work great the times i have used it on newer vehicles. i sprayed the tailgate 3 times, and it barely lifted the paint just a little. ill be sure to be extra carefull on my truck though, i dont need some lead to make me any more stupid.
69heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote