The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
nailm

Question Frame Swap

I'm looking for any info/stories about swapping frames on a 62 chevy short bed step side. I have the truck sitting and waiting for work, but i'm trying to plan it out first. I want to do a front cross member with uppers and lowers(ditch the torsion bars, go with bags) rear 4 link w/watts link, new drive train front to back, bags, etc. etc. Every tidbit of info I can find says that this should be pretty straight forward (he says now!!) for a '63 and later truck. But on my '62, I have a giant X through the middle of the frame. I see three options. Ditch the truck (too sentimental), work around the X (possible), or swap the frame with a newer one. Any suggestions? How will the body match up? Anyone, please help!!

Thanks

2005 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab
nailm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Stepside65
Still Truckless!

Re: Frame Swap

The 62 bed won't bolt directly up to the 63 and later frames. The X frame is considerably wider. You could always swap out the entire front cross member to make life easier and go to 5 lug discs all at once. I don't know how hard it would be to do a 4 link on that frame but i'd be willing to bet its not much harder than the 63+ Just my tid bit of advice.
1997 Nissan Pickup Father-in-law's tonka toy I am forced to drive
Founder of The 60-66 Club

Tutor Et Ultor
Stepside65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

IMO it would be easier for what you're wanting to do to switch to a '63-'66 frame. Having to deal with the 'X' in the older frames can be a PITA. What Stepside65 said is true, the body mounts on the bed and the front cab mounts don't line up. All that you need to do there is drill new holes, not a big deal. doing the front crossmember swap on the later frames is a little easier also. just my .02
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
nailm

Thanks for your input Captain and Stepside. Let me see if i'm following you both. The cab and bed can be swapped out onto a 63 or later frame, and I should expect to only have to re-drill mount holes? If that's the case, that's great.

Thanks again.

2005 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab
nailm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailm View Post
Thanks for your input Captain and Stepside. Let me see if i'm following you both. The cab and bed can be swapped out onto a 63 or later frame, and I should expect to only have to re-drill mount holes? If that's the case, that's great.

Thanks again.
The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the front bumper mounting holes are different between '60-'62 and '63-'66. There may be some other things to deal with but they should be minor.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote