The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
grancuda

Hurst Indy Shifter - '72 250 I6

I am looking at installing a floor shifter on my '72 GMC. It has a 3 speed manual on the column and I want to put it on the floor. My truck is pretty much all original and has a 250 I6 with a 3 speed. I have heard of issues with not having enough room and the seat hitting the shifter in 1st & 3rd. I have done several seaches and came up empty handed. Also, I am considering installing a 350 down the road sometime and I am curious if the motor mounts/transmission mounts for that will move the location of the shifter because I have read that the inline 6 moves the tranny back 3 inches.

Please post your pics of your inline 6, 3 speed manuals that have been converted to floor shift.
I know I will probably catch some grief for wanting to change it but I think I will like it better and I don't plan on swapping the column but just removing the lever so all that will be modified on the truck will be the hole in the floor.
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Lated

Re: Hurst Indy Shifter - '72 250 I6

I have the Hurst Indy Shifter in my '70. The shifter is pretty close to the seat in first and third but the linkage is adjustable but I don't think mine is adjusted correctly looking at the travel between reverse and first. I don't have an inline 6 so I don't know about the tranny being moved back farther than with a SBC. The only problem I've had with my shifter is how short it is. It is barely tall enough to clear the bench seat. I'm wanting to convert mine back to column shift and if you are interested I might be persuaded to part with my floor shifter for a lot less than the 120 bucks it costs from summit. The first picture is in first and the second is reverse. As you can see the throw between the two was too much for the boot to handle in below freezing temps and it tore. If you are right and the inline 6 moves the tranny 3 inches to the rear there is no way a floor shifter and bench seat will work.
Attached Images

'70 SWB Step-Side (More rust than metal)
Lated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
cdowns

buy or build new shift lever is how i've always gotten the clearance i wanted// shift lever is held on by 2bolts
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Mt Man Chad

Here's a few pics......

The Previous owner clearly didn't worry about seat clearance.

But I'm sure I'll have to do some adjusting when I put the truck back togther!
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

I had a I-6 coupled with a 4 spd (SM465) which i changed to a 350, and all i had to do was flip my motor mounts upside down. Im not sure if this was the correct way to do so, but it worked and matched up (thank you GM engineers). could have been a rare case though...
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
davidh

[QUOTE=grancuda;2441024]I am looking at installing a floor shifter on my '72 GMC. It has a 3 speed manual on the column and I want to put it on the floor. My truck is pretty much all original and has a 250 I6 with a 3 speed. I have heard of issues with not having enough room and the seat hitting the shifter in 1st & 3rd. I have done several seaches and came up empty handed. Also, I am considering installing a 350 down the road sometime and I am curious if the motor mounts/transmission mounts for that will move the location of the shifter because I have read that the inline 6 moves the tranny back 3 inches.
I looked into doing this a few years ago. You can look on the hurst web site and classic truck mag did a write up on a 69 3/4 they did this to as well. You want to buy the more expensive $200 shifter. Its much smoother and more like the 4 speed competition plus shifter. I was told it doesnt have the seat clearance issues either. I got my column shifter working better so decided against it. If I put another manual trans it will the be that 4speed over drive used in 80's chevy's and 90's dodges.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I had no clearance problem in my 70 when I was running the 250 w/ 3 on the floor Indy Shifter, but I was running a bench/splitbench from a 92/94 C1500.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
grancuda

I am looking on the summit website looking at the install kits and I don't know but would a stock 72 3 speed be a M21? I want to make sure and get the right install kit.
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

M21 is a 4-speed.

This is the one I order from Summit
HUU-5010016

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=1#Application

You'll also want to order a boot
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
davidh

Call them, ask for the tech line. Its not just listed in the parts catalog but they do carry it. Looked under their web site and found it. The shifter and install kit are sold seperate, its twice as much as the cheap shifter but if you are going to keep the 3speed thats the way to go. I talked with someone who used this in their 65chevy truck and they loved it. Said it shifted great and it wasnt in the seat. Call summit or jegs with these part numbers
http://www.hurst-shifters.com/catalo...trshftapps.pdf
Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #11
Big D

I have the same shifter in my 70 GMC. The PO installed it a little close to the seat. It would pop out of first every once in while.

My simple fix was to flip the lever , Now it curves towards the dash and barely touches the seat.

64 1/2 Mustang convert

A bachelor's life is no life for a single man."
- Samuel Goldwyn
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote