The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
muddpile

New Painless Harness, Few Questions

Well, I got it in, but now I have a few small issues:
- When I turn the parklights on, the side markers light up, but when I signal they don't flash
-When I turn the parklights on, the front bumper parklights don't turn on, but they flash when I signal or 4 way.
-The interior light won't work at all, with the door switches or the headlight switch. I ran the stock wire from the fusebox to the light, then tapped the white wire into both door switches like the manual said. Did I miss a step somewhere? Both the bulb and the housing are new.
-The wipers only seem to have one speed now. The painless harness has plugs for 4 terminals, but the wiper motor only has 3 on it.
-I have an orange and a white wire for the brakelight switch. Which side goes on the left terminal and which on the right?
-I know where the green and purple wires go on the backup/neutral safety switch, but is does it matter if I mix up the two purples or the two greens, or is it just a straight on/off with no necessary order?

I think it's all pretty minor stuff, but I'd like to get it working correctly. Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
GMC3

Re: New Painless Harness, Few Questions

I may have an answer to a few of your questions as I just finished the painless install on my truck.
-the way the harness comes from painless, when park lights are on this includes the front bumper lights and side marker lights. when head lights are turned on the bumper lights shut off and are used only as turn signal. this is the way our trucks were wired in 67, so all 67-72 kits come like this. in the plug that plugs to your head light switch you will have to move the location of one of the wires to another spot on the plug. I overlooked this in the instructions too because it only says "On later models..." and i skipped right over it.
-to get your sidemarker and bumper lights to both light as turn signals, splice your ground wire of your sidemarker light in with the blue turn signal wire going to your bumper lights. with no lights on they blink at the same time, and with lighys on they alternate.
-your brake switch is just that. A switch. I doesn't matter what side you hook to, it just connects the two wires to make a continuous circuit.

Hope this helps and I'll see if i can find the ansewer to your other questions too.
GMC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
muddpile

Thanks for the help! I'll have to give it a try tonight.

All I have left for problems is my interior light, wipers, backup lights, and neutral safety switch, all should be simple things, just hoping someone here has some insight into it. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
muddpile

Got the backup lights and neutral safety done tonight. I'm just an interior light fix and wiper fix away from finishing it up. Any tips for these two?
Old 11-11-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
Hard Luck
I've got grease on my mind.

I am also doing a rewire. Did painless give you a diagram of the ignision switch that you could share?
Hard Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
GMC3

I'm assuming you mean the headlight switch plug. I don't have a scanner, but the diagram is in the instruction booklet in the headlight section. It has a dashed line pointing towards where you have to move the wire location to. Hope this helps.
GMC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
NPilot1975

It has been a while since installed by painless harness, but I did use the original plug for the wiper motor.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
I am also doing a rewire. Did painless give you a diagram of the ignision switch that you could share?
Perhaps this will be of some help to you.

http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 AM   #9
Hard Luck
I've got grease on my mind.

I am looking for a connection guide for the ignition switch not the wiring diagram.
Attached Images

Hard Luck is offline   Reply With Quote