The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Hardway

De-pinning steering column connector

I bought a Painless wiring harness for my '72 SWB. I am trying to get the pins out of the original factory "half moon" connector since I need to re-use it with the Painless harness. The manual for the harness says to use a small flat head screw driver or paper clip, insert it in to the top of the opening, opposite end of where the wire goes in, and pull the wire out. For the life of me I can not get the connectors to come loose. Its like they are glued in. I tried sparying some grease on them wit no luck. Does anyone have any tricks for getting theses connectors out?
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
hvychve
To The Levy

Re: De-pinning steering column connector

Once you get one out , (if you dont destroy its lock) you will see how its done and the rest will be a breeze, all you really are doing is bending a locked tab on the electrical connector which is holding against the plastic connector itself... patience and maybe if your eyes are old like mine, magnafying glass would help you, I just use glasses , but keep in mind while inserting your paper clip or whatever it takes to move the connector lock , you must pull wire out other end at same time.. good luck
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
71swb4x4

Before you stick the paperclip in push the wire forward, the wrong way. Then put something really skinny in (paperclip??) and pull the wire out. When I did mine I carved a toothpick down. It takes something really skinny.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
71 lowrider

There is actually a tool made to remove those terminals from the holder. I have one,I bought it from a tool truck years ago.I dont know what the tool is called or if they are still available. I know,I know,not much help to you,but there is a tool made to do just about anything.
71 lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
muddpile

I don't know if this is the right method, but I installed my painless harness on the weekend. I just pushed the connectors out the wrong end (pretty easy) and cut the wire off. Sounds crude, but it did work, and didn't seem to damage the connector.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Without my jacking the thread, can anyone comment on how much if any the aftermarket harnesses require cutting off connectors, and splicing short bits of existing wiring into the new one?

For example, the park/turn connector in front and tail/brake/turn in the rear. I think the rears can't be unplugged...

I'm not sure I want to replace the wiring if I have to do a lot of the above...

Thanks!
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Hardway

Thanks for the tips guys. I will be working on it again later today and will try your suggestions.

To answer your question on why you have to cut and splice a few things when using a Painless or any other aftermarket wiring harness. When the original harnesses were made by the factory the last thought on their mind was anyone trying to replace them. The rear tail light sectoin harness unplugs at the firewall. The front turn signal lights are directly wired in to the harness. Even on a lot of today's cars, sockets for bulbs and other items do not terminate in to a conenctor. Having to repin the half moon connector for example, GM does not make it anymore therefore Painless can not buy one somewhere. It comes down to numbers. It may cost $10,000+ to tool a mold for the half moon connector just so we don't have to spend 15mins - 1hr depinning the old one and reusing it. They probably sell a 15-30 67-72 harnesses per year. Without increasing the price super high it would take a long time to make that $10,000 back.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Hardway

Good news. I got it apart and repinned it in to the Painless harness. Now with the fuse block mounted it is just a matter of routing the wires and making the connections in the cab. Thanks for the help guys.