The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
chvtrkman

Winter's just around the corner

Well folks, we just saw our first snowflakes of the season yesterday, so........
it won't be long til PennDot is out on the highway laying down that liquid ice melting stuff.......it is NASTY!!!!!!!

This will be my first winter back on the road since getting the truck back together, AND, it will also be the first time exposing it to that nasty calcium carbonate (or whatever it is they use) and I'm not thrilled at the prospect of watching my truck disolve from this stuff. I can already see the results on our 02 Burb and I'm not happy. Anyone have any tips, things you do to minimize the potential damage from sheetmetal cancer causing chemicals? And please, no suggestions to store it away for the winter. That's not possible, she's my DD.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Winter's just around the corner

they've been spraying that crap here for over a week... and it's only dipped below freezing (with no rain or snow) a couple nights.
The thing to remember, is back in the rock salt days, once the salt was dried up, it was no longer causing damage.
Now... if it's on your vehicle, (on exposed metal) it'll suck the humidity out of the air clear down to 30% humidity. This means that what ever you don't get off of there, can be causing corrsion issues even after all the snow is gone, like in may or july.
The other bad thing, the molecules are much smaller, and can literally fit under the head of a rivit.
Another bad thing about this stuff, it is an airborne issue too. Go outside on a winter day, (within a couple miles of a freeway) lick your lips, then lick them again in 10 min... you'll taste the salt. So even if it is parked, and under a tarp... it'll STILL get the brine all up underneath it.
The very best thing you can do, you already said you can't do... park it.
To thwart off the problems on a driver, you need to try and have paint on everything underneath. Even if you just get under there with a can of black spray paint (not flat, has to be semi gloss at a minimum) and cover everything that isn't painted... exhaust, frame, tie rods and ends... inner body panels like between the inner and outter bed panels... this will go a long way to help.
Mostly, wash your truck every chance you can. if it is above freezing and you have the chance, go to the coin op car wash and blast it off, Mostly worry about the undercarrige, that's where it does most of the damage. under the hood too, the lower cab firewall and innerfenders, under the battery tray... all of it.
Then come spring time, spend an hr or two under your truck with some good spray degreaser/cleaner (I like Spray nine myself... Simple green works OK too) and plan on getting wet.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
hdflstf

Snowflakes??

Wassat???

Y'all need to move your truck south

Just having a little fun here - no harm intended
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
wibilly

mine are my dd too but once they start putting that stuff on the road i have to tear them apart so i'm not tempted and get in one of them disposablecomputer controaled fuel injected pos's for now any way. but by next winter i,ll have a 72 k10 prettyed up a little for a winter beater and plow truck so i can drive a real truck year round
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
chvtrkman

Yeah, I agree, the rock salt wasn't as bad, for the reasons you stated. And this new stuff really has a more potent corrosion factor. The trucks at work are already showing signs of plenty of surface rust on the frames.....the 2005s & 2006s look as bad as the older trucks in the fleet.

I was hoping maybe someone knew of a spray-on preservative.When I was in the military we used something in a spray can that had a wax base to it. It left a pasty residue that really clung to the surface of whatever it was sprayed on, and only came off by power-washing. It had a yellowish color that looked to similar to.......well, earwax.As much of a pain as it was to wash off, it did a great job of preserving the finish of equipment that was "mothballed".I just wish I could remember what the name of it was/is.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

How about using undercoating?
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvtrkman View Post
Yeah, I agree, the rock salt wasn't as bad, for the reasons you stated. And this new stuff really has a more potent corrosion factor. The trucks at work are already showing signs of plenty of surface rust on the frames.....the 2005s & 2006s look as bad as the older trucks in the fleet.

I was hoping maybe someone knew of a spray-on preservative.When I was in the military we used something in a spray can that had a wax base to it. It left a pasty residue that really clung to the surface of whatever it was sprayed on, and only came off by power-washing. It had a yellowish color that looked to similar to.......well, earwax.As much of a pain as it was to wash off, it did a great job of preserving the finish of equipment that was "mothballed".I just wish I could remember what the name of it was/is.
Cosmolene....spelling may be wrong, but phonetically, it ain't.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Lot`s of trips to the car wash.I spray off the paint,no soap,but mostly invest my quarters in washing out up under everything.Fight liquid with liquid.I spray thinned (kerosene) used oil up in crevasses.You never see rust where there`s oil leaked under a truck,right?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

We just got 2 inches today but now it's raining and the snow is dissapering.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
SacramentoJoe
Always Fixing Things

You just gotta wash it a often as you can. I know, that's probably tough when the grden hose is frozen solid.

I had a friend who used to put ATF in a garden pump sprayer and coat the botttom of his truck before he took it muddin'
SacramentoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Snow? What is that? Salt? Here they put sand on the roads fro those 3 or 4 days out of the year that we get snow. I still have to worry, since most old trucks around here have rust in the cabs, but no frame rust.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote