The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

Spark plugs!

whats the gap on a spark plug for a BBC 454? also, are the iridium spark plugs the best or platinum?
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
jimfulco

Re: Spark plugs!

Point-type ignition or HEI? Use .035" for points, .045" for HEI.

As far as plug type, I've had better luck with regular old spark plugs than with any kind of fancy ones. The platinum plugs in my Cadillac bit the dust at ~75,000 miles, but the el-cheapo Autolites in my Ford have 150,000 on them and they're still going strong, although they did get re-gapped at ~140K.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

jimfulco, actually it depends on the engine - speaking from personal experience, 302/351W Fords don't like anything fancy, they seem to do best on regular plain copper Autolites and Motorcrafts, they do benefit from good wires tho, such as the 9mm FRPP sets. My 350 SBC however seems to run much better with the V-power NGKs than it ever did with any regular copper AC Delcos or NGKs I've tried.

chev74, platinum and iridium plugs supposedly make for a stronger and hotter spark, thus helping you burn out everything in the cylinders - if you have an oil burning issue those may be the short-term solution, but on a mild engine I don't think you should need them.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 AM   #4
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

thanks fellas. went with the mid grade ones, but good Bosch wires. nothing too fancy... now i just need to fix the air/fuel ration on the new Edelbrock 1407 carb we just installed. It kinda bogs down with accelerating and will backfire if you put your foot too far into it too quickly

any of ya have good advice on the best way to do it?
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote