The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
soba_03

68 rochester 2brl choke question

Ok i bought a rochester 2GV to replace the 2G on my truck. This one has the vacuum choke pulloff. I'm trying to install the choke spring (lives in the little recess in the intake to the left of the carb) But from what I can see I can't in any way see how this is going to operate the choke correctly. It seems that when it''s hot it going to want to push the choke plate clsoed and vice versa.

There is no way to install the spring wrong, it's got and index pin and a screw to attach it ot the manifold. So it's right.

I know that someone has done this. My truck was a manual choke and I've bought the same carb rebuild from Delco except this one has a vacuum pulloff.

If i'm thinking right, when it's hot the coil(choke spring) should expand and pull the choke opened. When cold it should force the choke plate closed. From what I can see it looks like the choke spring is mounted backwards in the mounting bracked. I purchased this spring brand new and it's got me confused.

Pictures would help me tremendously.

Please help, it's getting cold and "she's a cold blooded thing"
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: 68 rochester 2brl choke question

Did the divorced choke setup come with the carb? The reason I'm asking is because the part for that carb has been discontinued. If you bought one for it you my not have the right part for that year. I have the exact same carb and haven't been able to locate a setup for mine as of yet. Can you post some pics of what your working with?
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
soba_03

Exclamation Re: 68 rochester 2brl choke question

Dave,

The carb that I purchased is an old rebuild rochester I found, it is one of the side inlet carbs, I found a place that had three of them and was trying to sell them as a 3x2 set up for a streetrod. I bought mine all buy it's self. It had the vacuum pulloff already mounted to the carb. As for the divorce choke. I found it in BROTHERS Catalog It says small block chevrolet-rochester. It's brand new. I've searched yards but with no luck.

I would love to send a picture but on this site I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

It would seem to me that the coil spring is wound backwards. The one that I have purchased is wound Counter Clock Wise and needs to be wound Clock wise to work. I'm half tempted to go back with the manual choke but I'm havinr equally as much difficulty finding a choke cable. Not to mention that the new carb isn't set up to operate with a manual choke.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soba_03 View Post
.... I would love to send a picture but on this site I have absolutely no idea how to do that....
Hope this helps. Try it at least once and it becomes real easy.

Print and follow these steps:

1. After you click on "reply" or create a new topic, click on the "paper clip" picture above or go to manage attachements on the bottom of your thread box.

2. A "Manage Attachments" pop up box will appear. Click on the "browse" box.

3. On the next "Choose file" popup you can look for your picture folder by clicking on the down arrow in the "Look in" box. (I keep my truck pics separately in a Truck Folder)

4. I right mouse click in an open spot on the folder and click on "view thumbnails" so I can see the actual pictures.

5. Click on the picture you want. The name will appear in the "File name" box.

6. Click on "Open" to the right of the file name box.

7. The "Manage attachements" box will appear again with the name of the picture on the first box.

8. Click the "Upload" box. (picture has to be within the kb limits allowed or it won't upload)

9. After it finishes uploading, close the "Manage attachments" box.

10. Click on "Preview Post" box and your picture will appear in your post.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 11-09-2007 at 03:03 PM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
soba_03

Ok here is the choke spring and the choke plate. at this time the choke is fully opened and as you can see the choke spring is pulled as far away from the carb as it can be.. this would pull the choke OPENED. Look at where the butterfly is. If it is pulled down then it pulls the choke opened even father.

Does anyone have this on there truck? which way is the spring wound? In the picture the rod is not installed.... It's my work truck and can't have it down while I figure this all out...

hope this helps find some answers.. I'll try and get better pic's.

Thanks!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
soba_03

Here is a better picture of ehat I'm talking about... choke spring pulled (cold) as you can see the lever on the choke plate is up & forward. If the choke spring pulls down on it the choke will OPEN. This is the only Divorced choke spring I have found for a SBC with Rochester. Bought it brand new...
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
john
member #16

When I bought mine for a 350 the parts house had them wound both ways. Got the wrong one, took it back and got the right one.

Last edited by john; 11-09-2007 at 05:14 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by soba_03 View Post
If i'm thinking right, when it's hot the coil(choke spring) should expand and pull the choke opened. When cold it should force the choke plate closed. From what I can see it looks like the choke spring is mounted backwards in the mounting bracked. I purchased this spring brand new and it's got me confused. "
Forgot to mention. On my 69 chevy with a 350, I used a heat gun to warm the choke coil to see make sure it was working. You may be able to use a hairdryer if you don't have a heat gun to warm it up to see which way it moves...
Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
68gmsee

Okay, I was in my garage and found the old intake manifold for the 350. It has the original choke coil spring in it.

I heated it up with my heat gun and it uncoiled. In other words from the pictures you sent, your coil would unwind when hot and the looped end would move upwards towards the carburetor.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #10
soba_03

Exclamation Re: 68 rochester 2brl choke question

68gmsee,

Take a look at the spring and tell me how it is wound counter clock wise or colock wise. What year was your Chevy 350 setup? Reason I ask is that if I tell them 68 chevy choke spring that doesn't exist cause they were all manual (hand chokes) and if you had a set up that was actually that way from the factory I might be able to find it locally.... Thanks for all of the help.. You want to get rid of the old spring and rod off that intake let me know..... Thank you...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
68gmsee

Here's a couple of pics of the one I have. I believe I took the engine off either a 69 or 70 truck. But not sure if the truck had the original engine or not. At this time, I'm in the process of getting the truck running but not sure if I'll be staying with original choke or new electric.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #12
soba_03

I would personally go electric, I however in my infinite wisdom bought the carb before realizing that none of the parts were available.

Or mine would have electric on it as well..

I'm going to check and see if I can find an auto parts store that has choke spring. I've check a few and called the place I bought mine fron all are wound in the wrong direction. SO I'm either going to tear apart the new one and see if I can revers the spring of figure out how to put the manual controls back on it and try and find a decent choke cable,,, Thanks for your help.. good luck on the truck rebuild...
Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
soba_03

Ok here is the kit I bought, after some communication with the tech guys I think that I got my head wrong, This is wound the same direction, CCW.

Does anyone still have a Divorced choke set up? 2brl Quad? If so can some one look and tell me what way the spring is wound? A picture would be great.

Also the supplier that has this choke set up also has the set up for 4 brl quads and holleys. Drop me a line and I'll let you know who they are and how to find them.

Regards!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #14
soba_03

ACE,

Here is the thread I posted and Hope that it helps you in your Quest.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
68gmsee

Hey, soba_03, as I'm looking at the pic of your choke, can you per chance, gently pry the metal open and slide the coil out and turn it over? Seems to be fairly thin metal and may be bendable. Of course if it doesn't work you're out the money...

Just a thought...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #16
soba_03

I did that and it still doesn't pull correctly. still operates the choke closed when hot and I'm not sure how to correct it. I even bent up my own linkage and can't make it work. I went manual.

Regards!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #17
chris71

just in case you get sick of using the manual choke i found a company who sells choke conversions for rochestor 2 barrels, i think going electric choke may cost $30 or something. i dont know how good the company is but not many sell these conversions.

http://www.carbsonly.com/carbs/carbschoke1.htm
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote