The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #26
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

Re: How far have you driven it?

Cincinnati Oh to Montgomery Alabama the day I bought it.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #27
OleSenna
Roof: Bad. Sky: Good.

Still getting my new '72 ready for cruising, but did take a few extended trips in my old '72 in addition to it being my daily driver. My buddies and I are huge AMA Grand National flattrack and Grand Prix motorcycle racing fans. From home base in Atlanta, we drove the Hugger Orange K/5 to Lima, Ohio, and Springfield, IL (three times), along with attending lots of races around the southeast including Road Atlanta, Gainesville, FL, Daytona, Charlotte, etc.

On one of the Springfield trips, we spent the better part of one day traveling on unmarked cutways through farmer's fields. It was late summer and sometimes the corn was so high, we couldn't tell which way we were heading, so we reconnoitered by compass (these were the days before GPS). Sometimes we'd stop and ask a farmer which way to go and they'd get a kick out of the crazy fools in the funny truck with no top!

Once drove to Laguna Seca in northern California to attend the U.S. Grand Prix (now MotoGP) race. The race was in May and we took a northerly route on the way out so we could travel through Yellowstone and pass by the Grand Tetons. Both locations were unreal. In Yellowstone, the last of the big snows had fallen, the roads had just been cleared and the drifts were 6-8 feet tall. The timing meant we were virtually alone in the park. The air was crystal clear, 45-50 degrees temp, we had the top down, sometimes just rolling down hills for miles with the engine quietly idling, whooshing in and out of white hallways of snow. We hit the Tetons in equally ideal conditions, early morning mist rising from the ground, the peaks darkly etched in front of a breaking, mostly shining sky. On the way back, we drove through the desert southwest, hitting Vegas and crossing never-ending Texas from Hell. Round trip was upwards of 12,000 miles.

Another memorable Blazer adventure took me to Mexico City for the Formula 1 Grand Prix (cars, not bikes, this time). My buddy who was going to ride with me cracked a rib at the last minute and had to fly down, so I decided to do a solo run. Too many tales to relate here (including a close but hilarious encounter with a local, er, militia), but suffice it to say Mexico is one very interesting country. Can’t wait to go back and, amigos, it wouldn’t take much to live there way off the radar screen. One short passage of note didn't even take place in Mexico...

On the way down, I was doing my usual gray road rambling (Interstates are evil!), this time in Louisiana, and somehow found my way up onto the Mississippi levee system. Drove for miles along the river on the perfectly manicured dirt embankment that keeps the Mighty Muddy from overflowing. Saw wild heron, lots of ducks and geese and beautiful bayou country.

Man, I’m glad winter’s comin’ on. I don’t feel quite so bad about the ochre K/5 not being totally ready for road trippin’!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #28
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

No long trips in either of my vehicles - if I'm going long distance than the whole family is usually with me and that doesn't work well with either vehicle.

However, I find both of my vehicles to be very reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to drive long distance in the K5, just would have to not cry as the gas bill rose. The K20 isn't going on any long trips until I get a different front end under it. Longest it has gone is about 300 miles on a deer hunting trip - that was alot of fun!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #29
pound41

My blazer has over 160,000 on it. We would drive it for Northern Va to south west Va and back about 1000 miles. I plan on putting a OD tranny in both my 70 and 71. Also in my 72 work truck. Gas is expensive Yes but the $1,100 a month payments on my 02 suburban and 03 2500HD would buy a fair amount of gas. Extra fuel pump and parts for the HEI thats about all that would fail.
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #30
Mike C

No offense taken! The 4 speed really helps with mileage over a TH350. I get about 14 mpg no matter what mods I make. The worst mileage was with 33 14.5 MT's and the stock 3.07 gears along with a Cam Dynamics 284 cam and a Holley 750.
Currently mine has a .030 over 4 bolt 327 in it with a Crane 266 cam. The JET Q-jet was worth every penny as well as the 'vette Rams Horns.

I hate the big bias Humvee tires, so I think I'll get some more Radial Mud Terrain BFG's if I can find a set. Looks like they are on the chopping block anyhow, and the 35 12.50 16.5 isn't on any of the sites I've checked. I only the 37" Krawlers didn't cost $400 each...
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote