The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
GruntyPants

B-Body drivetrain swap... and more?

Here's what I have... a '94 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, with the iron LT-1 and overdrive automatic, with the 2.93 posi rear. Some silly person pulled out in front of me in a Toyota Corrola and crimped my ride.

The insurance company totalled the car and I bought it back for about $650. So I was thinking about swapping the drive-train into my '67 step. But I was wondering if the rear-end and or the spindles would be able to be used as well. I would like to be able to convert it over to the 5x5 lug pattern and use the 17" TT II's I have on the wagon too.

Anyone done this or heard of it? I really need to get both vehicles off the ground and get out the tape measure to be sure, but I figured someone would have tried it by now.

Thanks
'70 Short Wide

Last edited by GruntyPants; 11-22-2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: I had to fix some not real good grammar.
GruntyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
71tahoe

Re: B-Body drivetrain swap... and more?

The roadmaster should use the same parts as the Impala SS right? I think there have been some posts about using the rear axle from the Impala so you could do a search on that for the specifics. If you weld on u-bolt saddles (ECE)for a coil rear end (assuming the 67 is coil) and a deluxe panhard bar that goes from the trailing arm to the opposite frame it should be a simple swap.

I'm almost sure you would have some problems with ball joints into the b-body spindles.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
GruntyPants

Yeah, wasn't sure about the ball joints... maybe it was on the Chevelle list where they were using b-body stuff.

I think I would just rather stick with my plan for the fuel injected inline 6 for now.

It kills me to have good parts just sitting there, Wonder what the Mopar guys would think about an LT-1 in a '69 Charger....
'70 Short Wide
Old 11-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

What about the computer stuff? The guy doing my truck has an ex-cop car (9C1) to sell for $1600. It's interesting, but I don't want to mess with a computer.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
GruntyPants

The computer stuff really isn't that complicated, once you get your head around all the components. It's all one big harness and would tuck neatly in the engine bay without too much hassle.

The 9C1 is a good platform, since most of them had rear discs too. My RoadMonster just has drums.

I've actually picked up a 4.3 V6 TBI injection unit with the computer and harness to put into my '67. It will probably require a remap of the computer, but there's several folks doing it for a reasonable price.
I just want a truck my wife can drive without having to worry about a choke, how many times to pump the gas, having to heel-toe when it's cold and all that's involved with a really old carb setup. Plus I'm going to play with a turbo in the future so FI is easier to (to me) to use for blow through boost.

Besides all that it's fun to build something different.
'70 Short Wide
Old 11-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

I'm watching this post with interest. I need to know what all can be used out of one of these big boats, too.

We've got an original '92 Buick "Road-Monster" 4-door sedan, with only 78,000 miles on it. 350 TBI, 704 overdrive, loaded, leather, everything. Bought a local "granny car," & my wife's been driving it around town for more than 10 years now.

Worth peanuts on the market because it's such a tank. Too good to dump, but I hate to see it sit. Very thirsty, with today's gas prices........... bad as my pickup or worse.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote