The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
yourgrool
67-72

upper cross shaft kit question!!

can anyone help me out i got the upper cross shaft kit for my upper control arms and i was wondering how to put it together, if i should tighten it so it doesnt move or leave it a turn or 2 loose. i tried to search all over and i can only find how to install the whole control arm, thanks in advance
yourgrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: upper cross shaft kit question!!

I suppose you are refering to the metal bushing type, 72 on back. The end caps screw into the arm tightly & you turn the shaft to get it centerred. The shaft should turn in the bushings.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
yourgrool
67-72

i tightened the end caps/bushings tight but you can tighten the cross shaft so it wont move i dont know if i should untread each side one turn to let the cross shaft move a little bit or am i supposed to tighten it all the way into each side end cap/bushings, thanks again,
yourgrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

You can,t back them up. They will unscrew & fall out. Did you grease them after they were in stalled? Is the shaft centered in the arm? You should be able to put a long punch in one hole & turn it. It might have some drag but will loosen up after a while. If it won,t turn you might have a bent a-arm.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Try to screw 1 bushing completely out, then screw the cross shaft in till it bottoms in the remaining bushing.....then screw the crossshaft back out 1 turn, & replace the last bushing. That should center the shaft in the bushings, & hopfully take care of the binding. Best of luck,L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote