The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
nailm

Late model GMC torsion bars, leveling

Not sure if this question will do better here or in the Late Model truck section... but here goes.

Does anybody have any experience with a late moldel (2005) leveling kit for GMC/Chevy with torsion bars. I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500HD crew cab, and it has the typical nose dive look. It's been bugging me, so i'm starting to look into poppin the front end up that 2.5" to square out the look.

Everything i've seen so far, (minus serious mods like new crossmember), rely on re-clocking or cranking up the torsion bars. Anyone use these kits? Do they work well? Does the geometry change much? Tire scrub???

HELP!!!! Please, can somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Nailm

2005 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab
nailm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Late model GMC torsion bars, leveling

My younger brother has an '08 Chevy HD Crew that has had the torsion bars reclocked. Sits level and rides great ... also allows for a larger tire.

Good luck.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
jkade

I have had a bunch of Z71's and a few tahoe's , most of the time I crank the bolts in on the bars and it will level it out. On one tahoe I installed a set of ford f-150 keys in the front and a 2" block in the back where I could run 305/70/16's. I would try running the bolts in first and see what the gets you. Just remember to turn them the same amount on each side.

Last edited by jkade; 11-29-2007 at 10:37 AM.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
nailm

Has anybody ever heard of Cognito Motorsports? They offer a replacement upper arm that corrects the geometry and relocates the shock mount to keep from bottoming out after clocking up the torsion bars. Is is worth it?

http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page2.html

let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Nailm

2005 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab
nailm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Big H

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailm View Post
Has anybody ever heard of Cognito Motorsports? They offer a replacement upper arm that corrects the geometry and relocates the shock mount to keep from bottoming out after clocking up the torsion bars. Is is worth it?

Thanks
Nailm
That is a great kit. Works great and the company's upper control arms are curved more downward than the factory upper control arms so that they still allow stock down travel by clearing the upper control arm downstop. Add to that the ability to choose between a shock extender or new longer shocks all together and factory alignment specs makes the Cognito kit my first choice.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailm View Post

Thanks
Nailm
Get a floor jack and jack the front wheels where they are just off the ground ( use jack stands) and turn the bolts in till about a 1/2" is left from the head to the crossmember ( the one the torsion bars mount to at the transmission). Remeber how many rounds you turned the first one and do the same amount on the other, I have turned them in all the way. Let it down and see if that doesn't get it where you want it. It will ride a little stiffer but I have never minded. You should probably take it and get the frontend aligned but I never have and had no tire wear problems. You can get a easy 2" of lift by doing this. Oh yeah, I had a 02 1500hd and it looked like a 2wd when I bought it and the nose was down also, I did the above and it leveled it out and I put 305/70/16's on it. No need to spend money to get what you are wanting to do in my opinion since this has been done to at least 20 trucks that I know of with no problems.

Last edited by jkade; 11-29-2007 at 08:44 PM.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote