The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2003, 03:30 AM   #1
chevychic

Carb rebuild

Well I did it. I rebuilt my q-jet this weekend.
I ran into a couple of snags, but was able to get everything working great tonight (of course I had a little help...right Mike?)

Man, what an awesome feeling to take something totally apart, have no clue what you're doing and reassemble it and have it work!!

I learned quite a bit from this and best of all I got to see the inside of the carb and see how it all worked. I was able to find another Q-jet at the junk yard so that's going to be my practice carb if I get daring enough to do any modifications.

For those that say Q-jets are a pain, maybe they are at times, but I think I'm sticking with mine. There's so much that can be done with them and more than enough info available to teach you how....and if I can do this, anyone can.

I have some minor adjustments I need to make tomorrow in the daylight. (I was outside under a lamp at 8 PM tonight just to get the inline fuel filter and carb installed)

Everytime I work on my truck I discover something new. This time it was the lack of a fuel filter whatsoever. I installed an inline fuel filter and I'm not sure if it's that or the carb rebuild, but the truck just seems to run and idle so much smoother.

I can't wait to get everything adjusted just right and see how it runs.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:18 AM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Glad to hear it went well for you Heather. One word of advice is to flare the end of the pipe comong out of the carb fuel inlet incase your using a new piece.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:20 AM   #3
scalawag

i hear ya

i am workin on mine too. i got an intake and a 800cfm carter built q-jet. i am going to have to get it rebushed. it has a little more play than i like. i have gotten to where i can take mine apart and put it together in about 4 minutes. they arent hard at all. i found out how to unwarp the airhorn. noching the flaps, that the idle tubes arnt needed, cause they're too small. keep everything stock and work up from there.

the q-jet is a wonderful carb. its tuneability is unmatched.

enjoy!!
scalawag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:53 AM   #4
BigRed

Cool! Thtat's one of those things that builds your confidence! Carbs can be so intimidating. I'm going to try and mod my Holley here soon and that makes me very nervous.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

I just rebuilt my quadrajet last week, other than extensive cleaning, I found it to be rather straight forward too. The adjustments are what take for ever. It has more power and drivibility now than since I bought the truck.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:41 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Way to go. Was the problem the needle?

I knew you could do it. Pretty simple now that you're done, right?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:17 PM   #7
chevychic

Yep. I'm 98% sure it was the needle. The other 2% could've been the gas spraying up through the split in the fuel line that could've been made when I was first getting the carb off and I didn't notice. However, I don't think the gas would've sprayed like that and I would've seen more gas on the intake and valve covers than I saw. I'm pretty sure it was the needle.

It was very simple. I'm glad I did it.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

Bought two from ebay to tinker with. Don't want to jack with the one I have on the truck now.