The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Need some new tools

Hey guys, I want to build up my tool collection, and I think that getting some pretty basic building blocks is a good idea to start, and I'm looking into welding setups, or an air compressor for painting or air powered tools in general, so what would you guys recommend that isnt going to cost a ton, but will work fairly well?
Old 12-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: Need some new tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc 415 View Post
Hey guys, I want to build up my tool collection, and I think that getting some pretty basic building blocks is a good idea to start, and I'm looking into welding setups, or an air compressor for painting or air powered tools in general, so what would you guys recommend that isnt going to cost a ton, but will work fairly well?
If you go to Home Depot you can get a 60gal compressor for about $397. I forgot the HP on that. I think it is 5hp.. Welding.. Well that all depends on what you want to weld.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

I'm partial to snap-on myself, especially when it comes to air tools, but that can get kinda pricey for you. If you're not gonna go with any of the big 3 (snap-on, mac, and matco) then I would head down to sears and take a look at some of the craftsman tools. They have a lifetime warranty on them as well, or so I've heard.

I've also got a few SK tools, and I think they are pretty decent.

http://www.skhandtool.com
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
If you go to Home Depot you can get a 60gal compressor for about $397. I forgot the HP on that. I think it is 5hp.. Welding.. Well that all depends on what you want to weld.
Frame and sheet metal work is what I'm looking to do.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

I found a buzz box arc welder a few years back for fiddy bucks at a yard sale. I had to hook up 220, but it's been a great tool! I enjoyed welding so much that I bought a mig welder for smaller jobs, but the arc welder will do quite a few fun things. A 45 degree magnet is handy for holding stock in place while welding. Also, an automatic darkening welding mask is way handy! I got mine at Harbor Freight. I wish I would have spent more on a nicer air compressor because patients are a virtue when working with air tools. I also wish the compressor was NOT oil less because it's really noisy. I also found an older Hitachi chop saw at a yard sale and put a 12" metal cutting blade on it. Cuts pipe, flat stock, and angle iron nice and straight at different angles. A 4 1/2" grinder is a must too. Go with a quality tool, i.e. Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Hitachi, etc. and make sure it's got plenty of amps. With it you can cut, grind, and smooth with various grit flap discs. I'll be a hypocrite here, but safety glasses, gloves, masks, and hearing protections is important!
'01 Ranger (I've gotta long commute..)
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=276904
Blue'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I really like my SK tools. I started many years ago (30+ years) with SK and those tools are still in my toolbox. The Mac tool line is good and of course the Ever so pricey Snap-on for specialty tools. Craftsman cannot be beaten for things such as nutdrivers, torque wrenches, and basic sockets. I do not like their rachets and screwdrivers.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Thanks guys, I'm pretty set on hand tools, and electric power tools as well, mainly looking for recommendations on compressors and welders.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
streetstar

anything made by Miller that runs on 220 is good -- the Millermatic series is great. (Hobarts i'm told are made by Miller, but when i look in the shops of the guys that work on my racecar, everything is Miller -- so i take the opinions of the guys who use 'em everyday pretty seriously)

A plasma cutter is nice to have if its in your budget

Ingersoll Rand makes well regarded air compressors, but honestly, if you spend a grand or more on one, you probably won't have to research it too much - it will probably last 20 years and have enough power to run a small body shop --- dont forget to put a small shed in the backyard to house it so you dont have to listen to it all the time
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote