The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Carbon dioxide paint/rust removal???

Has anyone tried this method of removing paint, rust and or cleaning the engine or know anyone that's done it?

I saw a special on tv the other day explaining how it works. Seemed to be a good way to remove paint without doing any damage to the metal. The only thing is I don't know how it compares in cost to the most common methods like sand/media blasting.

Here's a study done by the military:

http://www.jdmag.wpafb.af.mil/carbon%20dioxide.pdf
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Re: Carbon dioxide paint/rust removal???

I know this "dry ice process" blasting is done on the inside of houses which have been smoke-damaged from a small internal fire. Or to help with cleanup after a big one.

They do it on attic rafters, wall studs, fine antique furniture, painted & finished drywall wallboard !!! stained & varnished doors & baseboard moldings, etc, etc. Takes smoke & the smell that goes with it off most anything without damage. Supposedly, no (or very little) residue cleanup afterwards like you'd have with sand. The dry ice just evaporates & they use small fans to blow the extra carbon dioxide outside the house. Suck up the smoke residue with industrial vacuum cleaners as very fine ash, off the floor after the blasting.

I talked to some guys - I've never personally seen it done, who did this type work. They said with enough training & careful settings on the air pressure, you can blast smoke off of wallpaper & painted walls without damaging the finish, or turn the air pressure up enough to cut thru wall studs like a saw.

I'd have to see it to believe it, but that's what I was told.

Ought to work on painted metal.

But like everything, too much pressure would no doubt cause warpage. Just probably not as much heat generated, but there would still be the minute amount of hammering-stretching of the metal if you got overenthusiastic with the air pressure.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: Carbon dioxide paint/rust removal???

I saw that show last night.They use it on book restoration.That`s some tender stuff.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote