The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
46deluxe

Shorter Pitman Arm

I'm in the process of building a 57 Chevy truck using a S10 clip and I come up with an idea to shorten the frame between the steering box and crossmember to get some extra forward wheel position in the wheelwell I would like to find a 3/4 or 1 inch shorter Pitman Arm, but I need someone with better search abilities in the parts world or more experience with steering parts. Stock measures 7.5 or 5" center to center and the ball joint is built in the pitman arm.
http://www.hipoparts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=239
This might work welding on this instead of a cast arm that would need to be nickel welded or I might be able to machine a new hole in it.
46deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: Shorter Pitman Arm

instead of shortening it there why would you just chop some more some off the very front? or is the steering box that far forward that you can't?

I would say the obvious solution is to go to a rack and pinion.... but if that's not an option, I guess for $22 I buy that aluminum pitman arm and shorten it. Just remember that when you decrease the length of that pitman arm, you'll effectively be decreasing the ratio in your steering box. that could be solved by swapping in a steering box from a zq8 s10, which had a tighter gear box ratio. good luck!

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
46deluxe

I've already cut all I can on the frame.
I can buy an expensive R&P or make one work, but there's lots of issues with bump steer and fabbing is time consuming.
I can buy a complete hub to hub Mustang ll but thats still more than I want to pay. The S10 was $50.
One of the reasons I wanted to try this, is that people say it won't work on 55-57 or its too narrow. But, when you add a 8 inch wide wheel with the right offset on the front and consider that its going to be as low as my 46 then it should work. Worst case I have to buy a couple of 1 spacers.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

welcome to the board from Athens, AL ....
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46deluxe View Post
I've already cut all I can on the frame.
I can buy an expensive R&P or make one work, but there's lots of issues with bump steer and fabbing is time consuming.
I can buy a complete hub to hub Mustang ll but thats still more than I want to pay. The S10 was $50.
One of the reasons I wanted to try this, is that people say it won't work on 55-57 or its too narrow. But, when you add a 8 inch wide wheel with the right offset on the front and consider that its going to be as low as my 46 then it should work. Worst case I have to buy a couple of 1 spacers.
hey man I'm not trying to discourage you you say it can't be done... just laying your options on the table. I'm as low buck as they come...

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
46deluxe

no issues on your post. I apperciate your help.
I just realized I needed to explain my plans and ideas out further.