The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2003, 04:52 PM   #1
slow69

towbar/ tow dolly revisited

I need a quick question answered.

I am going to tow a 3/4 ton rolling chassis about 25 miles through town and am trying to decide between a tow bar and a tow dolly. The tow dolly is readily available but I am concerned about it tracking well. Will the front wheels turn when I turn or will they shoot the other way and cause and accident?
I know that I can find a 78" tow dolly that will work but if a tow bar works, I would rather do that because I don't have to rent it.
Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated,
slow69
slow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

If your chassis has the steering box and all the linkage, you can use a tow bar and secure the wheels, that way they won't feeling like going their own way, The dolly works also, I prefer using a car hauler, why? is safer and you can rent one for the same price as a car dolly in any RV place

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
slow69

well, I have a tow bar and would have to rent the dolly. I don't know about locking up the wheels. I thought someone here said that they had pulled one with a towbar and was hoping to get some feedback. thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Did you check this?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=26528&highlight=tow+bar

Longhornmail is the man to talk to, good luck

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
6869704X4

I pulled my rolling chassis several miles with a tow bar. Worked great. Dont lock the wheels. They will follow you, or track with you, around a corner. And dont get in a spot where you have to back up. Also if you make a really tight turn you might drag the front around the turn instead of the front wheels tracking with you. I guess its because the frame is so light.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:27 PM   #6
slow69

Wink

thanks,
I just need someone to say that they had done it.
I hope I don't run anyone over with it!

-slow69
Old 01-08-2003, 11:22 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Don't lock the wheels. I have towed my GMC with my tow bar from Tx to Ohio and it tracked straight. Then, i towed the longhorn from eastern PA to Columbus, and it tracked fairly straight. (it weighed more than the tow vehicle)
Like I said in the e-mail...just don't get stupid.
As for backing it up...try it, if you get the hang of it you'll look like a pro. It only took me 10 min to figure out how to back up...after that, I was backing out of driveways and stuff. Even had a trucker give me a thumbs up on backing into a spot in a truck stop some where in Arkansas.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:18 AM   #8
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I use a wide tow dolly with electric brakes. These trucks are really heavy to be stopping with just the brakes on the towing truck. The dolly is not as good as a trailer, but safer than a tow bar. It is just so much easier to get around our dreadful Seattle traffic than dragging a 20' trailer.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2003, 10:36 AM   #9
6869704X4

hey longhornmail, hehe, backing a 4wheel trailer is a little different isnt it. But like you said once you get the hang of it, it aint bad. I can remember backing 4wheel farm trailers into dryers with a tractor. The tractor makes it easy.
I found that pulling just the rolling frame was a little different than the whole truck. Without the wieght of the truck on the front the tires would slide instead of track when trying to back it up. So I could actually back it like a regular trailer, but it wasn't consistent. For everything I needed to do in regular driving the wheels tracked with me.
All I needed to do was pull it to the sanblaster and back home. For that I thought the tow bar was the best way.
I had 33x12.5 tires on mine so there is another factor.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:59 AM   #10
Longhorn Man

Tow bars are safe as long as the driver isn't an idiot. Otherwise, the feds wouldn't let them be on the market, and they wouldn't be DOT leagal, and U-haul (who is way too conservitive with what a vehicle can tow) wouldn't rent them out.
I used to tow 70 ton M1-A1 tanks with a tow bar all the time, and that was with a 56 ton tow vehicle.
Once I even towed 2 tanks (total 140 ton weight) at once with one 70 ton tow vehicle.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #11
Dan69 step

Hey Longhorn, I thought I had the record in towing things! I hauled 2 1950 Buicks(one on the trailer and one on the dolly) with my 69 short step from Weastern Ohio to Ashland, VA. (I have a polaroid of it)Also have done 3/4 and 1 ton ford pu's that way from NE to Ohio. But hauling TWO tanks, now that takes it all, hands down!! Would love to have that on film!
63 Studebaker Avanti
85 Avanti
66 Studebaker Cruiser
49 Studebaker pickup
3-49 Studebaker 1 1/2 truck
94 White/ GMC coe (cabin hauler)
95 chev
2015 chev Duramax 2500
Dan69 step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #12
Longhorn Man

I took a picture of it, but the camera got left outside when it started raining. Would you believe we got an inch of rain that night? (this is in the desert of So-Cal)
Needless to say, the camera AND the film were junk.