The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
Shamil

Where is the problem?

For the past two days, the battery indicator on the dashboard showing less than 13 almost to the red area zone
Even when I hit the gas
Shamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
72BLUZ

Re: Where is the problem?

possibly the voltage regulator
Old 12-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
Shamil

where to find this regulator
Old 12-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The alternator should be internally regulated. Not sure how hard parts are to come by where you are at, but I would suggest having the alternator checked.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #5
454HO

The voltage regulator is inside the alternator. And it's function is to keep the voltage from gong too high. If your voltage is too low, it is more likely a rectifier inside the alternator that is bad. But I would check a few other things first.

What is the condition of the belt that drives the alternator? Is it tight? Are all the electrical connections clean and tight? Are you sure the battery is good, no dead cells? If you have a good auto parts store close by, they can load test both the battery and the alternator to make sure they are working properly.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
Shamil

i start facing this problem after i changed the belt 2 week a go, and yes the belt is tight
Old 12-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
72BLUZ

If It Is The Voltage Regulator. I Would Purchase A New Alternator, Instead Of Trying To Repair The One You Have. That Way You Have A Good Warranty
Old 12-15-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

when you loosened the alternator by any chance did you remove or loosen any of the wires to it? if the belt is tight inspect your connections . If they are good id check my battery connections and fluid levles.. if they are good its time to remove both the alternator and battery and have both checked.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #9
Eyegore
What Hump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
when you loosened the alternator by any chance did you remove or loosen any of the wires to it? if the belt is tight inspect your connections . If they are good id check my battery connections and fluid levles.. if they are good its time to remove both the alternator and battery and have both checked.
I agree with rusty, you may have knocked the harness going into the altenator. I would next check the battery post are they clean?
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote