The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
tyjoja

looking for vacuum sorce

Hi I'm looking for ideas for a vacuum sorce. My 73 had manual brakes, and I saw a deal on craigs for a power booster and master cyl. I got the new set up installed with only a little more than the usual amount of fowl language, good thing I have no close neighbors. anyway I couldn't find a vacuum source on the carb or manifold to hook to, so I had the brainstorm of splitting the line from the carb to the valve cover with a 't' fitting. I've not been able to try it out yet but have slept since then and am thinking that this may not work as the vacuum won't pull to both spots, just the one with least resistence, wich is probably the valve cover. what do you all think? the truck has a stock 250 six with a stock rochester 1 barrell carb. thanks bob
tyjoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
beaterC10

Re: looking for vacuum sorce

The small blocks use a fitting in the intake to provide intake vacuum. Is there a plug of some type on the 6 cylinder intake you could put a fitting into?
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
mhicks

The vacuum will have to come from the manifold. Isert a fitting into it behind the carb. Don't forget the check valve.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
tyjoja

thanks guys, what kind of a check valve is it, and where might I find it. I've looked around the carb and manifold for something I could use and nothing is jumping out at me, but I'll look some more, thanks bob
Old 12-02-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Do you have a PCV system? As in, a 3/8" hose that comes off the valve cover and goes to the base of the carb? Get rid of that, and there's your vacuum source. Insert a breather in the manifold vent, and call it a day.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
tyjoja

thanks Ivan, thats exactly what I've got. I didn't know I did not need the hose to the valve cover, can I find the breather at any part store? thanks again bob
Old 12-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Kaysenmc

Exactly what Ivan said, do away with the pcv. And yes any parts store should have a small breather. Most are chrome and around 8-10 bucks.
Kaysenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
Ivan D.

Well ideally you wanna keep the PCV as it cleans your engine pretty good, but a breather will work too, especially if you ain't got lots of blow-by. And yes, a breather can be had at any parts store, just make sure you get the right one for the hole you got in the valve cover.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
tyjoja

thanks everyone I'm on it bob
Old 12-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Tyjoja: 73 came with power brakes as well as manual brakes. When engines are built they are equiped to service both systems, IE, manual or power. Look on the intake and you will eventually find a plug. It will have a square drive top and will probably be 1\2 " or 3\8" NPT (national pipe thread) unscrew the plug and find some brass fitting to attach your booster hose to. NAPA should have the fitting required. Jim
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
tyjoja

Thanks jim I will look some more, I would think there should be something, I just have to find it. thanks again everyone, bob
Old 12-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #12
Ivan D.

Is the intake aluminum tho? If it is and you do find that plug be really careful when removing it, you don't wanna crack the silly thing - actually if it were my truck I'd probably not mess with it at all, but that's just me. In any case, keep an eye out for cracks around the plug.