The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #26
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Re: ok friends, i need hands-on HELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
i just want to add that there are vendors on this board who sell a one piece floor kit for these model trucks maybe that would work better for you as opposed to little pieces being welded together? check out triproautomotive's web site
Ive personally seen one of these and it looks great
Funny that you mention that, 2 days after purchasing about $350 worth of patch panels, I found one of those one-piece floor kits for about $300. i was pissed, and i couldn't return the patch panels either lol

Deceased:
1972 C10 Stepside, 350ci smallblock, Edelbrock 750 performer carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, DynaMax headers, Thrush glasspacks, flame-throwers!
sorestgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
Ol'Rover
Project: years too late.

hey your the lad from FSC i was talkin to, yah... you cant just expect to jump right in at a project the moment u get it. I can give some tips where to get started. Roll your frame inside get some wheels on it, make any repairs needed, set the cab on the frame and patch it, thisway you know everything will line up when done. after that your in the clear, if you can get that done you can finish the rest, projects liek this take a while you cant expect it to be one in one year unless you have a high budget.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #28
jetboat

IF you decide to part it....and kind of hope you dont, I prefer to see as many of these on the road as there can be. But, if you part it, let me know....I need body parts and Ill be coming your way in the spring for 4 wheeling.... Hopefully though you build that sucker up into a sweet truck. I bought mine back in the summer and although its somewhat drivable its sat waiting, gather your parts and take your time, its well worth it.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #29
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

It's an elephant and you have to eat it....one bite at a time. With the training you have, it just comes down to taking one thing at a time. You can do it!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #30
Ol'Rover
Project: years too late.

you can do it! it may be a slow project. but it will be sooo worth it in the end!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #31
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Well, it really is hard to do (I'm nearly in tears at this point), but I've made the decision to end this project.

I've come to realize that even if I find a great engine for cheap, it will be too expensive at this point in my life to put this truck back together and onto the road. I'm only 18. I only work part-time as a line-cook at Applebee's, making only $7 an hour. I went to college, only to be expelled about half-way through the first semester, so my opportunities for higher-paying jobs in the area I'd like (automotive tech) simply aren't available.

I took a beautiful, fun, strong-running, reliable truck and reduced it to a frame, a cab, a box, and assorted piles of parts that I just don't have the resources to put back together again.

And now, I'm going to list my truck for parting-out. After I sell everything that I can, I will give my farewell to all you amazing guys (and girls?) on this board.

After that, I'm going to start a new project, an old-school Mk1 Volkswagen GTi with a Mk4 TDI (diesel) engine swap.

Deceased:
1972 C10 Stepside, 350ci smallblock, Edelbrock 750 performer carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, DynaMax headers, Thrush glasspacks, flame-throwers!

Last edited by sorestgore; 12-15-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #32
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Also, I'd like to thank you all for your encouragement and advise. I know it sounds like I've just given up, but I had no way to finish this truck.

I may just keep the truck, and sell off the engine, and resurrect it in the future. I'm really not sure. This is one of the most difficult things I've had to do in a long, long time, so I need to just stop and think.

Deceased:
Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

That engine isn`t worth any real money,just keep it.Stop looking at the money.A jar of change fills one coin at a time.Take your time.Get a plan.Start getting floor patch panels and go at it when you can.Then,you either have a cab to set on the frame or a cab to sell.Either way you got the experience.You can`t go wrong.Traet it as a hobby.Do what you can when you can.Every day isn`t raw in the winter.Suit up and get out there and make some heat with that welder.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #34
nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That engine isn`t worth any real money,just keep it.Stop looking at the money.A jar of change fills one coin at a time.Take your time.Get a plan.Start getting floor patch panels and go at it when you can.Then,you either have a cab to set on the frame or a cab to sell.Either way you got the experience.You can`t go wrong.Traet it as a hobby.Do what you can when you can.Every day isn`t raw in the winter.Suit up and get out there and make some heat with that welder.
I agree with him. Doing a restoration like this takes time and patience. Rome wasn't built in a day. Look at what you have, and what you need, then put the money aside that you get for the parts you need. Since you've already purchased the patch panels, either sell those and purchase the one piece, or put them together. Either way, you will be getting experience with the welding, and the process. Don't get discouraged. I know that it is easy to do, but perseverance will pay off. Then you will have something that no one else can ever take away from you, knowledge. Not only that, you have a rolling portfolio of your work. Just give it time, everything will fall in place.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #35
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

You cant give up,summer time is comin!!!!!!!!!!

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #36
poorboy

Take a body class at the junior college and use it as your project. A friend of mine took the class for 2 years and did all the body work on his Impala. He paid for the material only. Saved a ton of money.