The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
LBJ

Re: Who has recovered or replaced their dash pad and......

I bought the one from LMC which was black for my 77. After I got it, the instructions said it COULD NOT be painted successfully with any type of paint. I was not going to put it in there black, so I bought some SEM scrub soap, primer, and dye. It held the dye well on the flat surfaces, but not in the areas arounds the dash where it has the recesses. I would rather have gotten one already colored to match from the manufacturer. The fit is good. I had some minor problems getting the dash cover on there, but it came out OK. I'm going to have to pull the whole thing back off to touch up the dash where I had taped some paper over the dash while it was in the paint shop. The tape melted and I had to remove the residue with Laquer thinner. Also going to replace the speedometer which has never worked properly from day one. Should have had that fixed 30 years ago at the dealer under warranty. So, when the weather looks goof for a few days, that's what I'll do.

Last edited by LBJ; 12-20-2007 at 01:58 PM.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote