The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
WyoRoadDog
Page intentionally left blank.

Question axle help

Hey 4x4 gurus-
I'm looking to change out the running gear on my '67 from the closed knuckle d44 front and d44 rear. I have a line on a disc d44 front / 12 bolt rear set from a local yard, and want to know if there are any specific things I should check for when I go look at them.
From the research I've done here and elsewhere, this seems the best replacement setup for me (driver, light 4 wheel use), but if there are other suggestions I would like to hear them.
Also, I'm not committed to the sale, so if there are any board members in the front range area with these parts for sale, I'd like to know, maybe give a member some cash instead.
Thanks.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams

'67 GMC 4x4, 305 V6! Or all the parts for anyway...
'17 Subaru Outback.
'18 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.
'99 Ducati 900SS.
WyoRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: axle help

First,are you changing ratios?If not,I`d keep the D44 in the rear unless there`s other issues with it.
About all I can say to look for in static axles would be remove the cover and inspect the ring and pinion teeth.Other than obvious chips/damage,there`s pitting,bluing,and teeth wear marks that look like an imprint of teeth.These can be found on the carrier and would be caused by excessive wear in the pinion bearing.Take notice of condition of lube and quantity.Do they look like they were leaking,mostly out the pinion?
I`d check the lock-out.First,just try to move them and see how they move.Take a couple pry bars or large screwdrivers.You can check engagement by locking the hubs and jamming the u-joints while trying to turn the pinion.You can check for slop this way,too.It`s hard to tell ball-joint condition,but using the bars you could check for excessive wear.
If I was closer I`d give you a good deal on some`72 axles from a Blazer.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
WyoRoadDog

Thanks! I was looking at changing ratios, going to 3.73 from the 3.54 I have now. Not an absolute though. Would you take the d44 rear over the 12 bolt? Part of the ratio change was that the front is a 3.73 and I was matching it with the 12b, but I could just swap the front and re-gear it.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams

'17 Subaru Outback.
'99 Ducati 900SS.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
DieselEater

If you're going through all the trouble of swapping axles.....I would go with 3/4 ton axles.......Just as easy to find, bolt right up, and just as cheap. Especially if you like to go wheelin'......

Might be against the rules, but I have a spare set of 3/4 axles from an 80 I could get rid of.....What you payin for yours?

A.......
D60/14bolt
205/465
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=127691959
DieselEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
WyoRoadDog

Hadn't seen the need to go to 3/4 ton axles. Not a deal breaker, as I'll be doing new wheels at some point anyway, but didn't think it was necessary. I was trying to avoid a '73+ swap as I don't have the setup to deal with moving shock mounts etc., that I understand needs to be done with later years. I'm hoping to do the swap for around $500.

'17 Subaru Outback.
'99 Ducati 900SS.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

If I was doing what you`re doing I`d swap both axles and avoid changing ring & pinions.I like the Dana 44 rear,but the differenced aren`t enough to warrant the expense of a gear change.They are very simular in strength,just a matter of personal preference.
The only advantage to going to 3/4t axles would be a tougher rear and bigger brakes & bearings up front.You won`t be able to get the 3.73s from a pre-73 rear,though.You`d have lower gears(higher ratio).I do like 8-luggers.That`s all I have.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-17-2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
cobinder
Everything is work in progress

Don't forget to think about tire size when looking at new gearing. Also the 8 lug aftermarket wheels in the old 6.5" bolt pattern are getting harder to find and you have less choices in styles.

How much?! It's just an old truck part!!

49 International on a 80 GMC 3/4ton 4x4 chassis
48 International KB-5 2 ton dump bed
04 Honda CRF "500"
09 Honda CRF450 fuel injected rocket
03 Suzuki hayabusa carbonfiber wheeled monster.
02 Ford diesel stretch van (toy hauler)
01 38' Monaco diesel pusher motorhome
cobinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
k14burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobinder View Post
Don't forget to think about tire size when looking at new gearing. Also the 8 lug aftermarket wheels in the old 6.5" bolt pattern are getting harder to find and you have less choices in styles.
Don't current GM and Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons have 8 on 6.5" lug patterns?
k14burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I think FlOoReD is the only metric pattern.There is certainly no shortage of wheels made for that good ole 8-lug.

Tim

Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
WyoRoadDog

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to check out the set I mentioned this week, and go from there. I'm not ruling out a 3/4 set, just don't have the setup to modify a post '73 rear, and I want to stay in the ~3.5 - 3.7 range, since I'm keeping the original V6, and it is not a high RPM motor. I still need to have some highway speed to get to the mountain!

'17 Subaru Outback.
'99 Ducati 900SS.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
89 crew

According to one of the wheel vendors on Ebay you can run any single wheel ford, or dodge 8 lug wheels on a chevy the only problem is they will fit loose around the hub.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
DURRTY
USMC

I have a 71 blazer with 3.73 gears, factory posi 12bolt rear, d44 front, disc brakes(front) that I have been thinking about selling.

I don't really know what they are worth and or if its worth it to you to come to salt lake to get em.

Anyone have an idea of what they are worth? I haven't pulled the covers and inspected them very close so say they are in fair to middle condition?? no leaks working hubs and passenger side flattop knuckle?

I am going to post a WIW in the parts board too.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #13
WyoRoadDog

Durrty, get an idea on a price and give me a PM. Like I said, I'd rather buy from a board member than a yard. My in-laws are in Rock Springs, so it may not be that hard to work out.

'17 Subaru Outback.
'99 Ducati 900SS.