The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Lafayette 68K20

Anyone know a good restoration shop?

I'm new to the board and am looking for recommendations for a shop that does frame off restorations. I searched the message board and did not find a thread or topic talking about specific shops near me.

I'm looking to restore a 68 K20 CST, 327, 4spd granny close to original, with a few mods for safety and convenience.

I've got the skills to maintain the vehicle, I just don't have the skills, space, tools, or time to do a complete frame off restore.

Anybody know of a shop out west, preferably close to Colorado? Thanks!
Lafayette 68K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Musclerodz

Re: Anyone know a good restoration shop?

I typical don't do stock restorations, but we can handle anything you wish to do. I am 12 hours from Denver in OKC, OK

Mike
Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

It's going to be hard to find a good restoration shop. Most of the body shops around here don't mess with older trucks and cars. They make most of their money with quick panel replacement and paint jobs on the newer vehicles.

There's one (and only one) in this area that's willing to tackle restoration work and he's not shy to tell you that it will take a long time and cost a lot of money. He does excellent work and $15K to $30K is some quotes I've heard. Plus it may take anywheres from several months to a year or more...

Needless to say, I didn't take him up on it...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
powell72

You could check with Zoomers in Denver, they mostly do street rods but could point you in the right direction if they weren't interested.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
GlennBrittain

I am also looking for a shop to do my bodywork. I can handle the frame, but would rather have a professional restore my cab. I have been quoted some outlandish amounts, which leads me to believe they did not want the job to begin with. I recently stopped at a paint and body, which I drive by at least weekly. I had not stopped there because it was a converted chicken farm. I finally stopped due to seeing a 69 there. Turns out, this was an older man with experience on out trucks. I will be following his work on a truck that was in the shop. If the one he is working on turns good, he will get my cab.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Lafayette 68K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell72 View Post
You could check with Zoomers in Denver, they mostly do street rods but could point you in the right direction if they weren't interested.
Hello Powell72 - thanks for the lead to Zoomers in Denver. Very nice people, really nice shop, just way out of my price range. I really did like the people there. I just think they are not that interested in doing stock restorations. They quoted me $60K to do the job. I had to ask them twice if they were joking . Sadly, it was no joke.

Anyway - I struck a deal with Mike at MuscleRodz (see earlier post above.) Very reasonable, easy to work with, and very thorough estimate that's definitely in my price range. I'm very impressed so far. Shipped my truck to Oklahoma (just before the deep freeze) and I can't wait to see the progress. I think Mike is planning to post pictures and progress in the Projects and Builds forum.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
factorystock

I would recommend to send along a sales brochure from 1968 and the paint chip code sheet to correctly match the factory colors to the right places. It is very important to do the reseach on your own, if you do not have a completely original vehicle in the first place.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
70cst

Lafayette 68K20...glad to see that you hooked up with Mike at MuscleRodz.
I am looking forward to watching your progress. Do you have a time table and estimate of restoration cost? It looks like my restoration cost will be $15-20K and that is not a frame off but once it is done I will have a very nice DD.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 12-19-2007 at 03:39 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
I would recommend to send along a sales brochure from 1968 and the paint chip code sheet to correctly match the factory colors to the right places. It is very important to do the reseach on your own, if you do not have a completely original vehicle in the first place.
This truck is VERY original and will be a straight foward frame off with a few upgrades to improve drive ability. I started a thread already in the project section and will be updating this week. I have started disassembly.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
I am looking forward to watching your progress. Do you have a time table and estimate of restoration cost? It looks like my restoration cost will be $15-20K and that is not a frame off but once it is done I will have a very nice DD.
Planning 1 years but shooting for less. I will let Richard comment on price if he wants to.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
Lafayette 68K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
Planning 1 years but shooting for less. I will let Richard comment on price if he wants to.
70cst - I too have a budget like yours. I'm hoping to keep it around $20K, but am willing to go a bit higher (within reason) to get it done right. Right now, we have $25K in the contract, and that is a frame off price. What I like about Mike is his willingness to find ways to cut costs without sacrificing quality. For example, he noticed my exhaust and tires were basically new - so, no need to replace those. I'm not sure all shops would take that extra step.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Lafayette, Welcome to the board. Good luck with the restore!!!

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #13
Lafayette 68K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
factorystock - thanks for the heads up. I have the sales brochure and I believe Mike has the correct paint chip codes. Curious - do you know where I can get a copy of the paint chip codes? Are they available online?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:38 AM   #14
Lafayette 68K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynee View Post
Lafayette, Welcome to the board. Good luck with the restore!!!
Tynee - thanks for the well wishes - I'm looking forward to watching the progress and very eager to drive when complete.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
Mudder

Sounds like you have found a good one. Communication is very important just like in a marriage. My bodyman does restos on the side but chooses what he wants. They work on those when they don't have any insurance jobs. They are very good at it also. These kind of shops are getting hard to find.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If you want a good shop and don't mind traveling to get a job done and more than one option. One that I would suggest is Roeher's Shop, just outside the small town of Burlington, Kansas. They have been doing frame off work for years (Example: streetrods, full size Cadillacs, Mopars, and trucks). The truck in the attached pictures was done by them and this truck made the Custom Classic Trucks magazine cover in 2005. This business is run by Harry Roeher and his sons and they do their work, basically from start to finish. They can be reached at 620-203-0041.

Just a suggestion--sometimes a small shop does the great work.
Attached Images

piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote