The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
CAMAROSS

Blinker problem

I need your help. I turn the left blinker on and the front light comes on (doesnt blink) and I replaced the bulb in the rear( it doesnt come on). I know that means no fire there but the brake lights and the tailights work. Any help? Its an 87 SWB. Thanks.
CAMAROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Curly86
You want it there when???

Re: Blinker problem

Check your ground and you might want to check your flasher

1997 Ford Explorer with 302 mydrive to work ride

1978 Gmc Midas RV 21ft with 46,000 actual miles
2003 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 327 and Tweety Bird Yellow

Big Sandy Survivor 09

Trucks in the Blue Grass Survivor 09

TNCTC

Streetcruzin
Curly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Camaroos: I am assuming the right side works ok right? I R/S is ok, flasher is ok. Try the 4 way flashers to see if the wireing to the rear is ok. If both sides flash as normal wireing to the back is probably ok. Only thing left is the signal light switch itself. If you have a spare, unplug the switch under the dash and plug your spare in and operate it. You can use most any signal light switch from a GM vehicle car or truck, tilt or not from the near same year. Check wire colors, if they match and the configuration of the plug is the same it will work for test purposes but most likely won't fit the the shift bowl. If you don't have a switch get one from NAPA and plug it in under the dash, don't install it so you can return it if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm wrong. Switch replacement isn't easy especially if you have a tilt wheel and cruise control. You will need a wheel puller and a lock plate compressor tool to get the lock plate pushed down so you can remove the snap ring.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
CAMAROSS

James, or whomever can help, I turned the 4 way flashers on and everything flashes except the right rear. Brake lights dont work on that side either. Tail lights do but nothing else. I hooked a test light to it but Im getting no fire during the brake light pressure or the signal light operation. Any clue????
Old 12-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

AHHH, now we are getting someplace with this. Does truck have a trailer hitch? Sounds to me like someone altered wireing under the truck for trailer lights. Check the front to make sure the lamps at least light up. Next, follow the harnace right from the firewall connector to the back of the truck, look for any damage. Next, look for corrosion\damage in the harnace end plug on the left side frame rail. From there back is where most trailer wireing is installed. If you see any "scotch locks", you found the problem. Repair the wireing using "heat shrink" connectors!! Recheck your work and lamp operation then tape the crap out of the wireing and re hang it. Next time you post a thread, please tell us everything, If you have a problem with anything (electrical, brakes, engine ect) the more we have to work with the better the answer will be. In this case you should have told us L/F does***, R/F does***,L/R does***, R/R does. Two areas where this is critical is brakes and electrical. Even if you have to write it down first, do it that way. Read what you have written and digest it and you may find you have diagnosed your problem all by yourself. No insults intended here OK, so don't take anything I say that way. Hope this helps, Jim
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
CAMAROSS

Smile Re: Blinker problem

Thanks James. Im out to try and tackle it. No hurt feelings here. I will gladly put more info next time. I will let you know if it doesnt work. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
CAMAROSS

Cool Re: Blinker problem

James, Good news and bad news.... You fixed my left blinker problem.
Now, I still have the problem (that I didnt realize I had) of the right (passenger) side blinking real fast and my tag lights blinking too. I know its a ground problem but where in the world do I look? 4 way flashers all work as they should but that left rear is to fast and dim. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
CAMAROSS

Ttt
Old 12-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
CAMAROSS

I figured it out. Thanks.