The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
sider68

56 Seat Help Please!!!

Its about the last thing I need to do .I want to replace two bucket seats with a bench seat.I have an original but its just not that comfortable.I hear that 88 to 96 seats are the best.Now do they bolt up with their existing tracks? I imagine a seat like this would be hard to find in good condition so I would need it recovered etc.I just dont want to go through all that expense to find out it doesnt work. Please help!
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
chris71

Re: 56 Seat Help Please!!!

dont know man, but as another option, you could have an apolstery shop add in extra springs and or stiffer/more foam in the original seat, i'd be willing to bet a good shop could make an old seat feel just as nice as a newer style. i have a friend with a 57 that had his aposlery shop even add in some side lumbar support on a bench seat for extra support. i am sure if you look hard enough in the yards, you will find a good used one, worst come to worse go to a yard or a swap meet and measure the mounting holes. i really have no clue if newer ones will fit the old holes but my gut feeling is no. good luck
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
sider68

The old seat I got is cushy but I heard the newer ones were alot better.
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
55dude

the newer ones will fit and they are plush but they are far from"bolt in". have your stock one recovered and later if you go for the upgrade sell the stock one.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
56 3100

hi i havent been on this board in a while.here are pics of seats out of 88-96 chevy truck. i relocated holes for mounting i like the seat though i still want to find full bench in this pattern. bench with arm rest:

bucket seats in case anyone interested in how they look:

56 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

I've seen a few trucks with the 88-96 seats. There a few different types available. Earlier ones had a small arm rest for the driver and small head rests. Make sure the seat will fold forward for access to behind the seat.

Brian ....

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
chevyrestoguy

'88-96 seats fit the best over any other seat I've mocked up. The rear countour of the top of the back seat is almost a perfect fit with the rear of the cab. The edge-to-edge measurement is perfect, too. You can find these seats relatively cheap at the wrecking yards, but their condition might be rough. If you can, try to find a cloth seat because the underlying foam is stiffer and more comfortable than the vinyl covered ones. You can find companies that sell exact fit replacement covers, too. These fit and attach exactly like stock, not like the cheap covers you find at the local parts store.

On the 55-59 cabs, there are two raised stiffeners that go from side to side and these support the mounts for the original factory seat. The 88-96 seat mounts fit perfectly between these stiffeners. You merely drill 4 new holes for the seat, and you're done. No welding or other fab necessary. I highly suggest these seats to anyone who is at the point of trying to find a suitable, comfortable seat for the 55-59 trucks.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
magsnubby

Any one use seats out of a later model '99 up? i like the way the seat belts are built into the seat and i really liked the seat in my 2001 GMC.
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote