The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
ToonMan

FenderSkirts: Things Just Work Out

Sometimes Things Just Work Out

One thing I like to do when I am bored is to surf through E-bay. Whether I am looking just to look, or I really want to buy something, it can be a lot of fun just to cruise through. This was the case last week. It was late at night, everyone in the house was asleep, and I sat here going through E-bay. I started off looking through the Chevy Trucks and parts, then went on to Toys, Bigfoot, and a few other of my obsessions, finding nothing I couldn't live without. I don't know what possessed me to search for this, maybe it was my love for all of the cool Hot Rod stuff of the 50's, but I punched in 'Fender Skirts'. It could be the fact that I have always wanted a set of skirts for my Cameo, ever since I helped a friend put skirts on his, and maybe I'd find a set that someone had and didn't know what it was. Who knows?!?! Even if I would never put them on, I have always wanted to own a set. Well, I saw something that caught my eye. The posting said 'Rare, Rare, Rare, Chevy Truck Fender Skirts', and the bidding started at $5.00, or 'Buy it Now' for $25.00. Being the Owner of 4 such Trucks, I just had to take a look!! These were for a '73 - '87 Chevy Fleetside!! Just Like my '78!! The only problem was the posting had no photo. This is usually a sign to me, that I do not want the item. No Picture, No interest!! But the thing was, I have rarely seen skirts for these years of trucks, and even though I didn't know if they'd look good on my truck, I was curious!! Just like my desire for the Cameo Skirts, I knew I wanted them!!!!
I E-mailed the seller and asked if he had any photos of the Skirts. He promptly wrote back, and said that he did not, but in his very friendly message, he wrote out the entire installation instructions for them. I was surprised, and could not believe how nice this was of him to do. With 4 days left on the auction, I decided to take a chance and bid!!!!
On the final day, I sat here glued to my computer!! Obviously, so were some other people!!! I guess I was wrong to not use the 'Buy it Now' feature, as Angie always tells me to do. (One of these days I actually will listen to her) There was now a Bidding War on, and I was in it!!!! After sweating through all of this, to the very last minute, I lost out , being out bid by one dollar!! :-(
Sitting here in a mild depression, I decided to write the seller and at least thank him for taking the time to write me such a kind and informative E-mail. He wrote back and said he was sorry I lost. Just from the enthusiasm in my first message, he said he was hoping that I'd win them!
When I write people on E-bay, I always remove my Sasquatch Artworks signature from my message. I really do not want these people knowing I am an Automotive Cartoonist, and that I'm into Hot Rods as much as I am. Why, I really don't know, it is just something I do. On this final message though, I included my signature. The auction was over, what could it hurt now. He wrote me back later that day asking me about my art, and telling me how he'd like to have a cartoon done of his baby, a '63 Karmann Ghia. I sent him all of the information he needed for getting a cartoon, and even though I was totally bummed out, I went about my business of the day.
I had decided early on, not to tell my Dad about the skirts. He had Skirts on all of his cars in the 50's and really loved this one automotive accessory!! I thought it would be really cool to just show up at his house with the skirts on my truck, and surprise him!! But after I lost the bidding war, I went ahead and told him all about them.
3 days later, I received another E-mail. This one would Blow My Socks Off!!!!! The seller told me that he had contacted the buyer, who had asked if all 4 were there!! Four?!?! He asked the buyer if he knew that skirts only came in pairs, and were for the rear of the vehicle. The buyer responded that he thought these were Fender Flares, and that he had no clue what Skirts even were, but since he had won the bid, he would buy them to keep his feedback record positive. What happened next was nothing short of a miracle to me. The seller told him that I was interested in them, and that if it was OK with him, he would be let off the hook, but only if I still wanted them. The buyer responded, that it was OK with him, if I did want them, he would let them go to me.
After the seller told me all of this, he asked if there was any way we could work a trade, a drawing for the skirts!! Since the Barter System has always been a favorite of mine, I eagerly told him YES!!!! After that, we worked out the details of the exchange.
I am very happy to say that the Skirts came in the mail today, in a rather large box I might add!! I couldn't hardly wait to "try them on!!" With Dad being the huge fan of Fender Skirts that he is, I went ahead and took them up to his house for the initial test fit!! I propped them in place and we both stood back for a look. I started giggling, and Dad had a huge smile on his face!!!
Even though they totally change the look of my pickup, and I'm still not sure if it for the better, or worse, they are really COOL!!!!!!!!
You know, sometimes things just work out!!!

Rob
The "ToonMan"
Creator of the Cartoons
"Squatch" and
"Chuck & Arbee"

SASQUATCH ARTWORKS
Custom Automotive Cartoons
www.chevytrucks.org/squatch-art

Rob's Rod Shoppe is a division of SASQUATCH ARTWORKS

56 Chevy Cameo----Custom, [Turquoise]
67 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside (Black & White)
63 Trailorboat-------Teardrop Style Trailer
69 Honda CM90
ToonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 06:57 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Re: FenderSkirts: Things Just Work Out

Quote:
Originally posted by ToonMan
I am very happy to say that the Skirts came in the mail today, in a rather large box I might add!!!!
Rob, havent you had the skirts on your truck for quite some time? just feel like sharing old news?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:52 AM   #3
ToonMan

I had a request to see this story in this Forum, so I re posted it here!!

56 Chevy Cameo----Custom, [Turquoise]
67 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside (Black & White)
63 Trailorboat-------Teardrop Style Trailer
69 Honda CM90
ToonMan is offline   Reply With Quote