The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
sider68

Canadian /U S A Deals

I was wondering if any of my fellow Canadians are finding deals across the border now our dollar is actually worth something?Also is there duty on imported parts?I had a friend who bought some wheels and said there were alot of extras tagged on.I dont know so I thought I,d ask you guys and girls
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
northerngmc

Re: Canadian /U S A Deals

I am buying small stuff on eBay, but not truck stuff......

Mainly BRP stuff as the US price is about 75% of the CDN price.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I bought from a Canadian member lately and there was no duty.My USPS money order was a pain because he couldn`t cash it there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
pissonNOS

just bought my dics brake drop spindle swap when it was at $1.10 !!!! had no hassle I just went across the border picked it up myself paid the broker $20 for handling it then paid $59 for the GST at the border, al in all i saved over $100
Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
IAFF2407

prices are what you are willing to pay based on need. There are lots of deals to be made on used parts compared to home here. far more availability. In Canada I find it harder to locate parts and sometimes 4X the price. You do have to pay PST and GST coming back into the country, that's a sore point.

such as my latest purchase on ebay. (another caddy motor) 472 with a t400 tranny, supposed to be only 65,000 miles (doubt it) what I get out of it will be a tranny, spare parts and a set of exhaust manifolds for my recently purchased 71 500ci. $386 us I'll save the 472 and maybe rebuild it later. for $500 US I now have a '71 500, '74 472 and T400, doubled up on starters, pulleys, brackets, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...spagenameZWDVW

Merry Christmas
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Rod

USPS money orders are cashable at any post office in Canada or the USA and vise versa..there an agreement between the two countries on the postal money orders...what happens often is people from the USA send up USPS money orders which clearly state their only cashable in USA or its possessions...Canada is not an American Possession, hence there not cashable here in Canada. It cost a little more but the USPS International money orders are the ones that need to be sent to Canadians in Canada.
The Canadian postal money orders are international and require no different version of money order to be sent as their identified in the countries currency value their issued on.

Perhaps that what happened in special-K case..I dont know was not involved but thought I'd clear up the issue some so as not to hamper any deals going on and keep up a good working relationship.

Its a good time to buy from the US as far as Im concerned but keep in mind that for Canadians receiving goods from the USA, a Postal shipment is the better cost efficiency due to the flat rate of $5 brokerage fee compared to other shippers who charge what they want pretty much.

Keep in mind that coutry of origin plays a factor on duty and excise taxes charged on item shipped to Canada from the USA...if it's made in America. Canada, or Mexico it can arrive with less tax implications in Canada. Canadians will still pay provincial taxes depending on the province and a Goods and services tax and duties and excise taxes if required and a brokerage fee... in the case or USPS about $5.

Canadians shipping to the USA .... as long as it is identifed as made in Canada or the USA or Mexico it goes to the USA with no duties or taxes to the American buyer.

Why Canadians should pay taxes on item made in Canada but shipped from the USA is beyond me ..but that political debate not called for here.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote