The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic

Crossmember swap &^@#%$ @#^#@ !!!

Ok, my truck came with a double hump transmission cross member when I bought it. I was going to install the exhaust and headers from my old truck so I swapped the funky light duty emissions single hump cross member in it place from the other truck.

Months later, I decide I don't wanna use the same headers and have to get the exhaust redone the right way so I try to put the double hump crossmember back in....IT DOESN'T FIT !

It's as if the frame rails are about 1/4 inch too close together now. I can get the bolts in one side, but when I go to bolt in the other side, it's all jammed up against the frame and the holes don't line up. It's almost as if the that single hump crossmember pulled the frame rails together or something.

Anyone ever have this problem? If I can spread the frame rails that little bit to get the bolts in it, everything might settle back in place over time, or I can enlongate the holes on the crossmemeber.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 12-28-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
BaddBusa2005

Re: Crossmember swap &^@#%$ @#^#@ !!!

sounds a little odd to me. It shouldnt have changed. Are you sure that you are bolting it up like it was when you removed the double hump CM?
Old 12-29-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
spudz

They can be a ***** sometimes... just get a big ol pry bar..lol I am not even joking...
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

LOL, been there done that. Changed a clutch on my truck and the same cross member would not fit. Under the weight of the vehicle the frame shifts position. Simple fix is to get on side in, snug the bolts and then using a pointed tool, align the other side a little past where it has to be. Insert bolt and tighten it down. Remove tool and insert the other bolt and tighten it down. Then tighten the other side. Hope this helps, jim
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Pyrotechnic

Got it done today. I was looking under the truck and the way the cab mounts are, they tend to push the frame inwards on the bottom. I got 2 jacks and jacked the truck up by the tip of the front cab mount on each side. The bolts went in easy after that. I could actually watch the frame flex back into position while i was jacking it up.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote