The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

Problems with 82

I am having a horrible stumbling problem with my 82. It has a 305 with a single inlet holley carb(not sure of the size) w/electric choke and an electric fuel pump. All this was pu on by the p/o. It starts and idles fine, when you give it any amount of gas it falls on its face and then picks right back up(when it's warmed up, if it ain't warm it completely dies). It doesn't matter if your idiling or have it up to speed as soon as you try and give it more gas it stumbles but picks right back up. I have adjusted the floats in the fuel bowl to see if it was starving and all that was good. Where do I go from there?
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
jchav62
1962 C-10

Re: Problems with 82

Sounds to me like a fuel pressure problem. Maybe the electric fuel pump is giving out.
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Check the accelerator pump as well. Do you know how many miles are on the carb? Could be time for a rebuild.

I'm not familiar with Holley carbs, but on an Edelbrock, the accelerator pump has adjustments to put more or less fuel in the initial squirt from the pump. If yours has this, play with these settings. It sure sounds like you're not getting enough of a squirt from your acc. pump.

Depending on the mileage, it could also be timing chain stretch. My old 350 did that, and would do the same thing. But I would suggest checking the acc. pump first.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Softball: Morning. The problem you describe is a classic accelerator pump problem.With the engine off and the carb full of fuel, look down the air horn at the squirters and open the throttle rather quickly and you should see two rather healthy streams of gas shoot out. If you don't or they just dribble pop off the front fuel bowl and replace the pump. If it's a double pumper your going to have to do it to the rear pump also. Make sure the passages are clear from the pump to the squirter tower in the air horn. there may be a check ball below the squirter tower, check that too. Blow it out carefully after you reinstall the tower. After the carb is all togther, prime her up and recheck for a good flow out the squirters. As far as any adjustment it's on the linkage just above the pump arm. You want only a VERY small clearence between the arm and the adjustment screw. Let me know how you do, jim
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote